2016 CASSIRER WELZ AWARD - CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
The Bag Factory Artists' Studios, in partnership with Strauss & Co & the Everard Read Gallery is excited to announce that the call for the 2016 Cassirer Welz Award is now OPEN.
This prestigious Award has helped create and shape the lives and careers of artists such as Blessing Ngobeni and Tshepo Mosopa many others.
During its 25 year history the Bag Factory has been at the forefront of the visual arts in South Africa. The organisation has provided studios space and opportunities for both local and international artists to create, network, learn from and guide each other. Artists such as David Koloane, Penny Siopis, Helen Sebidi, Sam Nhlengethwa, Benon Lutaaya, Deborah Bell and Usha Seejarim have all benefited from our programmes. As part of the international Triangle Network the Bag Factory is one of almost 30 similar spaces around the world and this allows us to keep our finger on the pulse of the international contemporary art.
The Cassirer Welz Award, funded by art auctioneers Strauss & Co and the Everard Read Galleryprovides an opportunity to an emerging South African artist, in the field of drawing or painting, under the age of 35 to spend 10 weeks at the Bag Factory's studios.
The award will provide the recipient with the opportunity to interact with the resident artists at the Bag Factory and through the exchange of ideas, mentorship and skills development, the artist has an opportunity for substantial creative and professional growth.
Upon completion of the Award, the artist will present their newly created work in an exhibition at the Everard Read Gallery as part of the First Thursdays' programme in February 2017.
How can artists apply for the Cassirer award?
Applicants MUST submit (preferably by email):
- a single A4-page typed motivation, including personal details and outlining reasons why the artists believes he or she deserves the award.
- a representative portfolio of the artist’s work including at least three original works and no more than 15, preferably by email. Images should not be larger than 300 kilobytes and each email no larger than two megabytes. Please make sure that the images submitted are titled with the year, medium, size and title of the work.
- the artist’s curriculum vitae
- a copy of the artist’s South African ID
The award takes place between October and December 2016 and Applicants MUST be able to take up award during this time.
CLOSING DATE FOR ENTRIES IS 16 SEPTEMBER 2016
Applications must be sent to email@example.com.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The winner of the award will be contacted towards the end of September 2016
If you have not heard from us by this time, please consider your application unsuccessful.
What does the Award Winner receive?
The award winner will receive the following:
- 10 week residency at the Bag Factory Artists' Studios
- A material allowance
- A small daily per diem
- An exhibition at Everard Read in February 2017
Please note that we do not provide accommodation or transport costs as part of the award.
For more information click here