Call for Applications 2016 Tierney Fellowship
The Market Photo Workshop in partnership with The Tierney Family Foundation realise the importance of creating opportunities for photographers to cultivate the development of photographers and photography as a medium.
The Tierney Fellowship creates an ideal space for a photographer to develop such a body of work. The Fellowship will provide the successful applicant with the financial support necessary to research and produce a body of photography work, in consultation with a mentor, over the period of a year.
Fellowship Benefits and Outcome(s)
Subject to certain conditions, the mentorship entails:
- R40,000 to produce the body of work that the recipient proposes to develop. The R40,000 covers costs related to research, travel, and other photography related supplies
- Based on further availability of funds, the mentorship grant can be extended to develop and the produce an exhibition of the body of work, and possibly a publication of the produced body.
2008 – Tracey Edser
2009 – Simangele Kalisa
2010 – Thabiso Sekgala
2011 – Mack Magagane
2012 – Lebohang Kganye
2013 – Sipho Gongxeka
2014 – Matt Kay
2015 – Tsepo Gumbi
for more info on previous projects click here.
- Submit two projects/series of work with at least 8-10 digital low-resolution images per project. Maximum of 20 low-resolution files in total (max. 5MB). All images must be in JPG format. Please note: a selection of random photos will not be considered.
- Include a brief description (maximum one A4) of each of the projects/series in a Word document.
Proposal should cover using the following:
- Proposal Concept
- Why you have chosen this concept
- What you wish to accomplish with this work
- Why this opportunity is significant for you
- Include an abridged CV in a Word document or pdf.
All four files above need to be named as separate folders and compressed in one zip-file as: <firstname_surname>.zip.
- The residency is open to all students of the Market Photo Workshop
- The residency is open to alumni who have studied at the Market Photo Workshop since 2006
- The mentorship will be awarded to applicants who are resident in Southern Africa
- Applicants must have fulfilled contractual requirements for Market Photo Workshop courses they were enrolled in or projects they participated in
- Applicants must have basic project management skills and demonstrate understanding of project management steps and processes
- Applicants must be independent, determined self-starters with a drive to succeed
- Students and alumni that come form needy financial background or previously disadvantaged individuals are encouraged to apply
- Applicants must not have produced a solo exhibition before
- Applicants must be able to travel to Johannesburg for initial meetings
- Applicants must not be older than 35 years of age at time of application
Selection of a candidate
- A panel of judges appointed by the Market Photo Workshop, including panellists from The Tierney Family Foundation, will participate in the selection process.
- Shortlisted candidates must be available for an interview soon thereafter.
- Judges need to be satisfied that the chosen project proposal has merit; that the candidate will be able to manage the project, and that he/ she is likely to derive lasting benefits from the fellowship. The Market Photo Workshop retains the right to request applicants to edit proposals.
Deadline: Applications close on Friday 20 May 2016.
Applicants are encouraged to contact Bekie Ntini on +27 11 834 1444 with any queries.
For more information on the Fellowship and project partners visit http://www.tierneyfellowship.org
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.