ABSA Gallery: Assistant Art Curator Position
To assist the manager with the management of the Absa Art Gallery; the management and preservation of Absa's art collection (worth approximately R500 million); informing, educating and entertaining Absa employees, customers and the general public on art. Apply online before 2 March 2011.
- Maintain an up to date database of strategic partners, friends and associates of the Absa Gallery
- When hosting an exhibition prepare labels for all artworks
- Assist with the curation and hanging of artworks for any Absa hosted or sponsored exhibition
- Assist the manager with the hosting exhibitions in the Absa Gallery, as well as Absa Sponsorship lead initiatives
- Assist the manager with the preparing of catalogues for any Absa hosted or sponsored exhibition
- Manage the selling of the artworks in the Absa Gallery, as per Absa's policy, and in line with industry norms and standards
- Ensure that whenever artworks are required to travel they are appropriately packaged and appropriate insurance is in place
- Ensure the Absa art catalogue is up to date, reflecting all artworks in the collection and the position of these artworks
- Ensure there is a photograph of every artwork in the art files
- Manage all correspondence and oversee the logistics around the relocation of artworks
- The art files must be kept updated, until the entire collection is digitized.
- Must be familiar with artworks in the Absa collection and where it hangs. Must do regular spot checks.
- Manage and control the location and movement of artworks around the Group
- Update the files and asset register on computer
- Take note of the value of each artwork, to know where it should hang in order to preserve the work
- Visit galleries countrywide to keep abreast of world trends
- Assist the manager with the Absa L'Atelier competition. This includes assisting with logistics, correspondence, receiving of entries, and the curation and hanging of artworks for the regional and national exhibitions
- Assist with the curation of artworks for festivals
- Assist the manager with sourcing appropriate artists, selecting a theme and title of the exhibition, in line with the theme of the festival.
- Evaluate all submitted artworks and reject works not suitable
- Manage the packing, transportation, displaying and profiling of artworks
- Deciding and initiating action
- Relating and networking
- Presenting and communicating information
- Writing and reporting
- Applying expertise and technology
- Planning and organising
- Delivering results and meeting customer expectations
- Coping with pressure and setbacks
- Bachelor of Art Degree majoring in fine arts or historical studies or equivalent NQF level 6 or higher qualification
- Four (4) years experience working with corporate art collections. Working as an assistant curator
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) and the Internet
No criminal record
- Post graduate qualification in Art history
- Five (5) years experience in South African art
- The appointment will be made in line with the Divisional Employment Equity strategy
At Absa, we are committed to creating a workplace which provides an opportunity for all employees and potential employees to fully optimise their potential by working for an Employer of Choice. Absa is continually searching for talented individuals to join our team and would like to invite you to apply for vacancies listed on our site that match your skills, qualifications and ambitions.
Apply on line at: www.careerjunction.co.za/ or