Sibisi Gallery Internship Programme
Sibisi Gallery is a gallery of modern and contemporary art, newly ensconced in the Melrose Arch precinct. Sibisi is the brainchild of Thandi Sibisi, an art dealer and businesswoman. The launch of this gallery established Thandi as the first black woman to ever own an upmarket gallery in South Africa.
The Sibisi Gallery is a platform for artists not only locally but also internationally. While the gallery has just recently opened we have received insurmountable press and interest within the contemporary South Africa art market. The Sibisi Gallery is opening up an opportunity for a young intern to join our team. The internship will serve as a learning platform for a young, energetic mind that is interested in learning about the commercial art world.
The internship is a 3-month, full time paid position, which requires the intern to work from Wednesday to Sunday weekly. The Gallery is situated in Melrose Arch, number 10 High Street. The Assistant will work very closely with both the owner and Gallery Manager in everyday activities as well as planning future projects. The Sibisi Gallery intern must be well spoken, organised, responsible, and able to work independently and co-operatively. Office related computer skills are essential including word processing, web browsing and email. Above average knowledge and confidence using Apple Mac computers is preferred. Excellent ability to type quickly in fluent English with good grammar is a must.
The Gallery Intern starting salary is:
An initial salary of R4,000 per month (after deductions). After the initial 3-month period the intern will be evaluated and may be hired permanently upon a performance review.
Duties of the Intern:
- Administrative assistance includes:
- Assistance and support to the owner and the Gallery Manager
- Liaising with artists and clients, written/telephone correspondence, updating mailing list, maintaining inventory and general office organization.
- To undertake general office duties, for example
- Maintenance of database and Sibisi Email address
- To aid in curatorial duties where necessary
- Dealing with the post, faxes and e-mail
- Drafting and sending standard letters
- Photocopying and collating papers and mailings
- Arranging for documents to be printed
- Monitoring stocks of basic items, for example stamps and stationery
- Ordering stationery, periodicals, equipment and other items
- Arranging travel and hotel accommodation
- Maintaining databases for both external and internal events
- Assist in the sale of art while handling cash, cards and receipts responsible
- Keep informed about current and upcoming exhibitions in order to educate visitors
- Keep the premises presentable and tidy
- Aid in hosting events by welcoming guests, serving drinks, and monitoring work –
- Take on special projects. This may include organising new promotional ideas
- Aid in packaging artwork and shipping
- Ensure the premise is secured at closing time.
- Invigilate the gallery and immediately report any theft or damage to the
- Ability to multitask and meet changing deadlines
- Must be self directed and able to complete projects with limited supervision
- Maintains staff confidentiality
- Knowledge of the contemporary art world would be advantageous
This position is a full time position that will require the Gallery Assistant to be present for 5 days of every week. The Assistant is required to present at the Gallery from Wednesday – Sunday from 9am until 5pm everyday besides Saturday when the hours are 9am until 7pm.
If you wish to apply:
- Please send a 1 page motivation letter
- An up to date CV
- Please send your applications to email@example.com
The applicants must available to begin immediately
30 August 2012
For any queries please email firstname.lastname@example.org