The Bag Factory is looking for a new Director
The Bag Factory Artists' Studios is looking for a vibrant, hard working individual to take up the role of Director as of 01 June 2017.
Reporting to: Chairman of the Board and Board Members
Liaises with: Board Members, Artists (current, past and future), Funders (actual and potential), Triangle Network organisations, Media, Art World (local and international)
Postion: Full time
- Project management
- Budget management
- People management
- An interest in the visual arts
The role of the Director exists to ensure that the Bag Factory Artists Studios attracts and retains the best potential amoung mid career Artists and provides developmental opportunities through residencies and workshops,in the philosophy of the Triangle Trust and the Founding Documents. The role also exists to ensure that funding is in place to cover the anticipated costs of these activities.
Main Duties and Responsiblities:
To promote the vision and mission of the Bag Factory, ensuring an environment and culture that encourages interaction, exchange of ideas and views, co-operation and independence, in which Artists can work and develop.
Performance Indicators – Funding:
- To ensure that funds are raised to meet short term and long term operational plans of the Bag Factory
- To Identify, pursue and attract sources of funding locally and internationally
- Develop funding proposals and contracts, and monitor compliance with the funder’s requirements, reporting back to funders as required
- Initiate innovative alterative sources of funding to meet the discretionary expenditure
- To create and develop networks within the visual arts that help to sustain and promote the Bag Factory’s vision.
Performance Indicators – Finances & Budgets:
- Supervise the preparation and presentation of the yearly budgets to the Board, ensuring its in line with the Bag Factory’s objectives
- Ensure that feedback expediture reports to funders are prepared and accurate
- Ensure expenditure is within budget and funds are adequate for the implementation and administration of programmes.
- Supervise and monitor administrative expenditure, keeping it within budget
- Ensure the occupancy rate at the Studios is kept high and rental collection is up to date
Performance Indicators – Programmes:
- Enusre that programmes are appropriate; are implemented within budget and funds are available for their successful implementation.
- To plan and manage overall financial budgets as well as programmes.
- To ensure positive feedback from Artists, Staff and Visitors
- Provide accurate and regular reports to the Board of Directors
- Ensure the high involvement and commitment from the selected artists
Performance Indicators – Marketing:
- Oversee the promotion and representation (through publicity, participation and visibility in relevant forums and professional platforms)
- Ensure a high quality of all marketing collateral, brochures, websites etc.
- Ensure that programmes are diverse, relevant, penetrate the market and meet the needs of the targets audience.
- To raise the profile and images of the Bag Factory within the targeted audiences nationally and internationally
- An awareness of the Bag Factory, its goals, objectives, activities is developed and communicated
- Oversee the creationg of a live database of patrons and friends of the Bag Factory is maintained with ongoing activities.
Performance Indicators – HR:
- Ensure Bag Factory recruits and attracts high quality of staff
- To recruit, induct, train and manage the appropriate staff to fill vacanies
- Stimulate staff growth and development
- Manage performance appraisals and liaise with Board on incentive programmes
- Monitor staff performance, ensuring that it’s in line with the goals and objectives of the Bag Factory
Performance Indicators – Culture:
- A stimulated culture & atmosphere; positive climate within the premises
- High standards in facility management, house keeping and security.
- Interpretation of the Bag Factory philosopy as well as the Thupelo Trust.
Please submit the following by email before 28 April 2017:
- your CV
- a letter of motivation
- a copy of your ID book
- names of three references
Please use the wording "Application for the position of Director" as a reference in the subject line of your email and send your emails through to email@example.com.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
A short list will be generated and interviews will be held by the board. You will be contacted if you are part of the short list. Interviews will take place in May 2017.
IF you are not contacted before the end of May 2017, please assume that your application has not been successful.
For more information please call 011 834 9181