Artist in Residence Skövde Art Museum
Call for Artists living and working in Cape Town, South Africa.
Cape Town based artist are invited to apply for an art residency exploring the boundaries in and between different societies, locally and/or internationally. Suggested themes are, but not limited to; migration, democracy, voice, ownership etc. AiRS encourage work with attempt to claim or take a critical stance to concept of the commons/public/semi public spaces.
- International travel to and from the residency
- Accommodation and studio (wifi, laundry, bathroom,kitchen) in central Skövde
- Limited production budget
- Personal grant
- Basic visa and insurance suport
Please also see under additional expectations or opportunities
Application deadline October 27th, 2016 (instructions below).
Studio visits: November 2016, (in Cape Town)
Residency: 8 weeks, 2017 (April 6th -June 7th), Skövde, Sweden
Expectations and opportunities
- Students enrolled in an academic program during thetime of requested residency are not eligible to apply.
- Working level of english is requested as translator willnot be facilitated.
- Artists are expected to make two public presentation and a workshop together with local artists.
- AiRS encourage and assist in facilitating communityengagement
- A dialogue with program curator will start in November 2016 to support the selected artist.
- AiRS is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination andequal opportunity for all persons regardless of race, sex, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry,
age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, and disability.
- The residency studio and apartment is across the streetfrom the Culture House (Artmuseum, library, theatre etc) and it is close to the buss and train station located
in the city center.
- Video documentation of the residency.
No application fee.
Use form link found under Apply for Airs 2017 on this page
In the application, you can upload a pdf, with a maximum of 10 pages / 5 mb.
Selections Process (dates see When)
- SUBMIT electronic application form and additional pdf
- Review of applications to select up to 10 artist AiRS selection group will meet in Cape Town.
- STUDIOVISIT we believe in meeting the artist we will have on our residency the final selection will be based on a studio conversation/portfolio review by Museum Director Thomas Oldrell and AiRS curator Anna Viola Hallberg.
To be eligible for a residency, the applicant must be a
- professional artist working and living in Cape Town region.
- Submit application and meet with curator and director of AiRS in Cape Town.
- Socially engaged art or working with temporal art in public space, showing a strong professional working history.
- A variety of disciplines are accepted including, but not limited to, visual arts, media/new genre, performance, film/video, interdisciplinary arts.
- Our selection criteria are professionalism (portfolio and studio visit) and that the residency seems relevant to the artistic practice and/or project the final decision of selection of artist will be publicly announced prior to the departure of the AiRS delegation from South Africa.
In 2014 the Skövde Art Museum with support from West Sweden Region started the international program of AiRS.
The Artist in Residence Skövde Art Museum, International Program is awarded to one artist per year.
Skövde Art Museum & Residency studio/apartment:
Trädgårdsgatan 7-9, 54130 Skövde, Sweden