Call for Proposal for Artist in Residence at Nafasi Art Space - Tanzania
Nafasi Art Space is a young Contemporary Art Space in Dar es Salaam with 11 studios, in- and outdoor exhibition space and 15 member artists. Nafasi’s mission is to be the leading Contemporary Art Centre in Tanzania that provides a platform for artists through development, production and entrepreneurship in the Visual Arts by providing training, exchange and exhibition of contemporary arts locally, regionally and beyond.
We are looking for an African visual artist working in 3-d to join us for a period of 2 months (in between Sept-Nov 2012) as an artist in residence at Nafasi. The goal of the residency is to have an active art exchange between you and the Nafasi artists.
We are looking for:
- Contemporary African visual artists working with ample experience – note, this call is not open to current art students
- Experience and willingness to conduct workshops and community work
During the residence period, you will:
- Work on your own project at the Nafasi premises, stay for the full duration of the residency and will actively participate in the Nafasi events
- Give a visual presentation of your work at the beginning of the residency to the Nafasi collective and interested Tanzanian artist
- Conduct a two week workshop for Nafasi artists -in one go or spread over the residency period
- The residency will end with a public presentation/exhibition and produce one outside Art work for Nafasi
- A contribution to travel and visa costs
- Studio space
- A daily allowance/per diem
- A grant sum for material
Please send in your application before 1 Aug 2012 by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Motivation letter explaining why you would like to come to Nafasi Art Space
- Artist statement
- Portfolio overview: Minimal 6 images of your work, not bigger than 1 MB per image
- Three references
Selection will be made by a jury. Only the considered artists will be contacted before 15
August with detailed information on the residency including practical information on visa, health insurance requirements and any other documentation required.