This is a set of (mostly) free COVID-19 resources to support creatives and creative organisations in the visual art sector and the creative and cultural space. This is a live, ongoing work in progress list of resources. Additions are welcome. Please send additions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- VANSA Covid-19 Perspectives: Surviving Creatively (2 June 2020)
Host: VANSA (Refilwe Nkomo), Panelists: Naadira Patel (Artist/Researcher/Designer/Project Manager/Sessional Lecturer), Mika Conradie (Curator/Researcher/Project Manager), Masimba Sasa (Photographer/Filmmaker/Lecturer/Trainer), Thato Mogotsi (Curator/Scholar/Lecturer/Trainer)
Watch the presentation here
- VANSA Covid-19 Perspectives: A Certain Kind of Space (19 May 2020)
Host: VANSA (Refilwe Nkomo), Panelists: Ukhona Mlandu (Greatmore Studios), Usen Obot (Galerie Noko), Nathi Simelane (Artist Proof Studios), Russel Hlongwane (Art for Humanity)
Watch the presentation here
- VANSA Covid-19 Perspectives: Then and Now (1 May 2020)
Host: VANSA (Refilwe Nkomo), Panelists: Kabelo Malatsie, Molemo Moiloa, Joseph Gaylard
Watch the presentation here
COVID-19 General Information
- SA Official Covid-19 Website
- SA’s COVID 19 Epidemic: Trends and Next Steps prepared for the Minister of Health, Dr. Zweli Mkhize by the Ministerial Advisory Group on Covid-19
- World Health Organisation Covid-19 Information
- Flatten the Curve: Comprehensive Guide to Covid-19 and what you can do to #flattenthecurve
- National Institute of Communicable Diseases Up to date Covid-19 Data
- Corona Global Visualizer up to date statistics on Covid-19 across the globe
- ATCG COVID-19 Response for African Creative Industries Fund: This Humanitarian Award is for creatives across Africa who have lost their income source due to the pandemic or seeking innovation support to test out new ideas or create new COVID related projects.
- Artists Grant: Artist Grant is a new venture that aims to support and fund artists.
- The Gottlieb Foundation Individual SupportGrant
- Netflix teams up with SASFED to create film and TV relief fund to help SA creatives
- Awesome Foundation Grant: A micro-granting organization, funding “awesome” projects.
- The Elizabeth Greenshields Foundation Grant
- Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation Emergency Covid-19 Fund: Cultural and artistic sector, emergency support to artists or artistic production entities that have seen their projects cancelled or in areas to which the Foundation commonly attributes support.
- Hear My Voice Poetry Relief Fund
- South African Banks Repayment Relief: Offering various interventions including loan and debt repayment holidays for qualifying customers
- South African Filmmakers Relief Fund
- University of York's Centre for Applied Human Rights - COVID-19 Fund
- IIE - Artist Protection Fund
- Temporarily closed: Sukuma Relief Programme: Rupert Foundation and Remgro fund for businesses affected by Covid-19 (*Note: temporarily closed however still accepting grant proposals to the value of R25 000 for qualifying sole proprietors)
- Expired: Theatre Benevolent Fund: For everyone who has worked professionally in the entertainment industry.
- Paused: SAFE Relief Application: South Africa fund for entertainers.
- Expired: South Africa Future Trust: Oppenheimer Foundation provides financial assistance to employees of South African SMMEs who are at risk of losing their jobs or will suffer a loss of income because of COVID-19 and payroll support to companies with a turnover of less than R25 million
- Expired: National Arts Council of South Afric (NAC) Provides Relief Funding to 2019/20 Beneficiaries.
- Expired: Department of Sport, Arts, Culture and Recreation Relief Fund
- Expired: The African Culture Fund (ACF)
- Expired: National Lotteries Commission COVID-19 Relief Fund:
- Expired: Business and Arts South Africa Artist Relief Grant
- Expired: Tourism Relief Fund: adjacent industry to the arts - galleries and organisations can apply as “Attractions”
- Expired: Small Business Relief COVID-19 Fund: financial assistance for small to medium-sized businesses.
- Expired: Artist Relief Project: Initiative run by Artly World Nonprofit offering short term relief and long term assistance for artists, musicians and performers impacted by event cancellations and venue closures
Legal Information and SA Government Resources and Support
- Covid-19 Temporary Employer/Employee Relief Scheme (TERS): Guide and access to Department of Employment and Labour TERS
- Short Term Unemployment Insurance (UIF) Benefits: Where companies decide to close for a short period or employees lose income due to reduced working despite being employed
- Illness Benefit: Where the employee is in quarantine for 14 days due to Covid-19, the employee shall qualify for illness benefit. The link also provides a guide to Reduced Work Time Benefit and Covid-19 TERS
- Tax Subsidies: Tax subsidy of up to R500 per month for the next four months for employees in the private sector who earn less than R6500 via Employment Tax Incentive Scheme
- Delayed PAYE Payments: Tax compliant employers with an annual turnover of less than R50m can postpone payment of 20% of PAYE bill for the next four months
- South African Venture Capital and Private Equity Association (SAVCA) has offered a wide range of areas of expertise and professional services, including marketing, legal, finance, and helping SMMEs understand how to access grant and bridge funding
- South African Social Investor's response to Covid-19 Map
Health and Mental Health Resources
- Free Guided Meditation with Sri Sri Ravi Shankar through the Art of Living Society at 08h30 and 16h30 SAST daily
- Collection - Support Your Mental Health In Lockdown: Feeling anxious in lockdown or know someone who is? Coronavirus is taking a toll on both our physical and mental wellbeing. These courses will help you manage your own mental health and support others who are struggling.
- Free Kundalini Yoga For Immunity with Tabita Rezaire
- Free Online Yoga Practice
- South African Depression and Anxiety Group is providing free telephonic counselling, information and referrals and daily Facebook chats from 13h00 - 14h00 SAST
- National Shelter Movement of South Africa’s domestic violence safety planning advice
- Limited: Coaching Session for Creatives struggling with Covid-19 (with Lisa Husseini)
- Expired: Free Somatic Coaching for Creatives
- Expired: Donation-based Kundalini Yoga classes with Kundalini Africa Rising. Email: email@example.com for Zoom link and details
Skilling and Educational Offers
- Udemy Free Online Courses: Web Design; Graphic Design; Web Development; Machine Learning
- Alison: Free, self-paced interactive learning experience
- Art History Teaching Resources
- Code Academy: Free online coding courses
- Coursera: Free online courses from leading universities
- EdX: A range of free online courses from leading universities
- FreeCodeCamp: Free online coding resources
- Kadenze: Free Creative MOOC courses
- Remote Teaching Resources
- Toolkit for Creative Hub leaders
Digital Gathering Spaces, Organising and Alternative Ways to Present Work
*Alternative ways to present work were the main kind of assistance requested in our survey. The following are a few resources:
- Zoom | Skype | Microsoft Teams | Google Hangouts: Online gathering, video conferencing, chat and meeting. Sign up for free
- Jitsi: Free, open-source video conferencing and instant messaging platform
- CrowdCast: Connecting small and large groups with numerous interactivity tools
- Electric Zine Maker: print shop and art tool for making and printing zines
- Second Life: Free 3D virtual world allowing users to connect, create and chat with other users
- Twitch: Video live streaming platform for gamers
- Howlround TV: Free and shared platform for live conversations and performances in the cultural and creative fields
- Social Movement Technologies: Tools and resources for online campaigns for digital organising
- CoronaVirus Tech Handbook: Events alternatives
- How to Host a Watch Party on Facebook
- PiXel Exhibition: Online exhibition
- Live donations platform harnessing QR technology: Live donations platform to help artists earn during the lockdown.
Digital Guides and Support
- Nedbank Arts Affinity: Support the development of South African arts, culture, and heritage - at no cost to you.
- Black feminist perspectives on COVID-19: A reading list
- Covid-19 and Freelance Artists
- Craft and Design Institute: update on government support for SMEs
- Fractured Atlas: Requesting Support in Difficult Times
- SAB Foundation: COVI-19 Financial Relief Options: Comprehensive guide for small businesses
- Manchester International Festival Resources for Artists and Freelancers
- Support Business/Support Finder: Online tool to see what funding you/your business qualify for and resources to support businesses
- Vera List Center for Arts and Politics Covid-19 Resource Toolkit
- Yoco Small Business Covid-19 Survival Guide: a comprehensive guide for small businesses and entrepreneurs to survive Covid-19
- Expired: FREE three-part series for Non-Profits: Aims to address key challenges faced by NPO’s amidst the Covid-19 crisis with a focus on financial sustainability and operational efficiency whilst ensuring maximum community impact.
COVID-19 Creative Opportunities
- CISTA Art Online Exhibition Call to Artists to participate
- Open Ideo Communication Challenge
- Smart Xchange Covid-19 Innovation Challenge: Innovation grant up to a maximum of R500 000 to create a globally scalable, sustainable business in one of three specific verticals; business, labour, and civil society
Advocacy and Impact Data on COVID-19 impact on Creatives
- South Africa Events Industry Survey: Stakeholders in the industry, such as SACIA, TPSA and the SA Events Council, have been trying to engage with the government since the start of the lock-down, but few gains have been made. These industry statistics are desperately required to present to Government: The entertainment & event industries contribution to the GDP, the number of Freelancers, Performers, Temporary Workers, Independent Contractors in the sector, Job losses and Loss of Income
- Hyperallergic’s Daily Report
- Fak'ugesi Digital Creative Community Survey
- Expired: South African Cultural Observatory Cultural and Creative Sector Response to Covid-19 survey
- Expired: South African Cultural Observatory: Measuring the impact of the Covid-19 Crisis on the Cultural and Creative Industries in South Africa: An early assessment
- Expired: Gauteng Creative Businesses Aid in Response to Covid-19: survey gathering data about the impact of COVID-19 on Gauteng creative sector