Artist Blessing Ngobeni will once again be supporting a young, emerging artist (under 35 and not represented by a gallery) with a twelve-week studio residency and solo exhibition at the Everard Read Johannesburg gallery. The artist will be provided with studio space at Victoria Yards, as well as a small materials budget and a monthly stipend. This programme will begin on Monday, 3 June 2019 and run until Friday, 16 August 2019. The solo exhibition will on 5 September 2019 at Everard Read gallery.
The artist is expected to:
- Attend bi-weekly meetings with the administrators of the Blessing Ngobeni Art Prize.
- Produce new and exciting works for a solo exhibition at the Everard Read gallery.
- Complete a written report on their visit on completion of the residency.
- Arrive on time and stay for the full period (12 weeks).
- Participated in workshops that will be coordinated for the residency.
What will a successful applicant receive?
- A studio space.
- A small materials budget for art production while in residence.
- A monthly stipend towards transport and living expenses.
- A funded solo exhibition at the Everard Read Johannesburg gallery.
Applicants should not expect to profit financially or expect to be able to fully sustain themselves financially from or during the residency, as this is a cultural development programme. Applicants will NOT receive accommodation or transport.