December 26/2021 – January 01/2022
Theme: A P A R T TOGETHER
EACH OF US IN EVERYONE OF US. TrYing in trYing timEs. ALONE TOGETHER. NO WORDS CAN DESCRIBE IT. PAN (ALL) + D?MOS (PEOPLE) = PANDEMIC . RUPTURED TIME. TIME BREAK / BREAK TIME. A P A R T TOGETHER. ALONE TOGETHER. WITNESSING HISTORY. SOLITUDE. WAITING FOR A BETTER TOMORROW. THE NEED FOR HUMAN TOUCH. AND SILENCE, YET AGAIN. THE BLURRED LINES OF (UN) REALITY. IT WAS INCREDIBLE SUNNY OUTSIDE.
In this past year flights stopped, streets and roads emptied, offices, restaurants, schools… closed. Millions lost lives. Touching, sharing, closeness, getting together, even the simple act of breathing became threatening. We have been thrown into a historical period we never imagined could occur in our lifetime nor be prepared for. The experience has left us questioning our human accomplishments and potentials. Still, in the midst of the crisis, it’s too soon to know the effect it has had and will have on our path ahead.
Video has become our way to see, hear, and speak to each other, a mechanism for connection. Among these challenges, creativity lives on. We create to communicate our ideas, to connect the new distance that is forced upon us. In responding to these recent conditions Addis Video Art Festival seeks video shorts that examine, reflect, and parallel these experiences.
Regulation and Guidelines
- Open to national and international artists
- Submission deadline August 1 2021
- Free submission
- Theme: ‘A P A R T TOGETHER’
- Single-channel videos only
- Works must be made within the past 2 years
- If the work uses a language other than English, it must be subtitled in English
- Maximum duration 15 minutes
- Up to two works may be submitted per artist/ requiring a separate entry form per submission
- Selected artists will be notified by September 1st at which point a screening copy will be requested