Afrika Burns Creative Projects (AfrikaBurn) was created in 2007 as a Non-Profit Organisation, with the intention that it would serve as a vehicle for the co-ordination of a South African Burning Man regional event. Our operational demands have expanded to such an extent that we are now in a position where we need to appoint an Executive Director Operations (EDO). We are looking for an experienced individual to organise and oversee the daily operations of our organisation.
He/she will with his/her excellent leadership and management, need to discover the most efficient ways to run our organisation in line with the strategic direction set by the Members and the Board of Directors. The EDO holds oversight of governance, financial management, event production, compliance (Legal, statutory, secretarial and HR), IT and Risk Management. The Executive Directors of AfrikaBurn will drive the organisational philosophy. In line with AfrikaBurn ethos, this is a position of servant leadership.
- Contribute to the development of the AfrikaBurn Vision and Strategy
- Ensure inter-portfolio alignment
- Manage office operations
- Measure and report on organisational performance against strategic goals
- Oversight of portfolio deliverables
- Financial oversight and administration including organisational budgeting and reporting
- Fulfill legislative governance functions
- Risk identification and mitigation management
- Oversight of appointment and contracting of staff
- Conflict resolution
- Ensure legal compliance including OHS and event legislation
- Develop organisational policy and operating procedures in response to identified needs
- Oversee preocurement processes and supplier management
- Event oversight
Requirements for Position
- Broad business practice knowledge
- Familiarity with the relevant labour legislation and requirements of the Companies Act for statutory and secretarial compliance
- Knowledge of principles of good governance; contracts and agreements
- Risk Management knowledge and experience
- Experience and knowledge in organisational policy and procedure development
- Experience in event production /operations
- Financial acumen
- Basic legal acumen (specifically pertaining to event legislation and liability)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Active listener
- Able to maintain objectivity
- Highly analytical and detailed
- Strong negotiator
- Long term thinking which will entail the ability to identify and navigate between what’s necessary today and what’s important in the longer term. Short term sacrifices for long term gains.
- Effective management and delegation of processes and procedures
- Ability to solve complex problems
- Able to facilitate collaborative and integrative decision-making often in high-pressured scenarios
- Clear communication style
The successful candidate will have 10 years of proven experience of strategic management of business operations preferably at a Director level. The EDO will report to the Chair of the Membership & the Chair of the Board of Directors. In turn, he/she will direct the Finance Lead, Operations Manager (including Airspace and Health Services), Ticketing Lead, and ICT in their duties.
This is a paid position.