Applications for the ARCUS Project artist-in-residence program are now open!
We look forward to receiving applications from artists who hope to realize creative projects at ARCUS Project.
From fiscal 2021, there is a fee for applications. The fee helps us continue our work helping different kinds of artists from around the world and providing full and stable support during their residency within the limits of our current manpower and funding. Thank you for your understanding.
Program period: September 2–December 10, 2021 (100 days)
Due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, the above schedule is subject to change.
The applicant must:
- be an emerging artist engaged in contemporary visual arts or other related fields.
- possess a nationality other than Japanese.
- be resident outside Japan and able to enter Japan legally.
- not be enrolled at an educational institution during the program period unless it is a PhD program.
- be in a state of good health and able to carry out daily activities on his/her own.
- have an English-language ability proficient enough to communicate with other artists and staff.
Studio, accommodation, round-trip airfare, living and research expenses.
Inquiries about applications are accepted via the contact form. Please be aware that we cannot respond to inquiries received after the application period has finished. We will respond to inquiries received during the spring holiday period (May 2–6) from May 7.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How many artists stay during the residency program?
A. The program has a total of four individuals/groups staying at one time (one Japanese national and three non-Japanese nationals). Only one individual/group will be selected for this year’s program. The residency period will be the same as for the three artists who previously participated in the 2020 online residency.
Q. Are group applications accepted?
A. A group can apply using a single application form. However, the grant provided by ARCUS Project (for accommodation and production costs, etc.) is for one individual only. This grant may be shared between the members of a group, however.
Q. Can my partner or family also stay?
A. Partners and families are able to stay, but please be aware that accommodation provided by ARCUS Project is only for single occupants.
Q. Do I need a visa?
A. Selected artists will receive full support in obtaining a Cultural Activities Visa.
Frequently Asked Questions about Applying
- Feedback from 2019’s resident artists
- Information on the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) from the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare
- Information on the 2011 Fukushima nuclear disaster (updated 2021) https://arcus4u.exblog.jp/240886851/