This paid 6-month internship, with the possibility of a full-time contract thereafter, will appeal to someone interested in the art business and who is prepared to start at entry-level. This role is primarily responsible for various administrative duties in the Cape Town office. You will learn about cataloguing artworks, uploading information onto databases, and assisting with auction preparation. This position works closely with the Logistics and Store Manager to ensure the proper handling and storage of artworks and is supervised by the Art Specialists to assist with client services and preparation of art valuations and project proposals.
Tasks include assisting the team with:
- Office and general administration;
- Front of house, answering and transferring telephone calls;
- General clerical duties (maintaining records, uploading and filing documents, data capturing);
- Cataloguing and research of artworks;
- Producing condition reports for artworks;
- Assisting with content development, writing and proofreading texts for catalogues, social media, media releases, newsletters etc.;
- Preparation for photography of artworks, uploading and archiving images;
- Assisting with catalogue production;
- Client Services – fielding enquiries and general assistance;
- Art Valuations – conducting market research, preparing and editing images, cataloguing information and final documents preparation;
- Assistance with all aspects of auction production and exhibition installation;
- Participation in events and other industry functions; and
- Any other related duties as required from time-to-time.
- BA Fine Art with History and Theory of Art or equivalent Honours degree will be prioritised;
- A love of art, an interest in the art market and the ability to work well under pressure and in a team environment;
- Good interpersonal and excellent communication skills (spoken and written English);
- Computer literate: Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Email and Internet use, additionally design skills including Adobe Photoshop and InDesign will be prioritised; Driver’s license and own car essential
Monday to Friday 08h30 to 16h30. You will be required to work overtime occasionally.
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.