Lalela provides educational arts for youth from under-resourced communities to spark creative thinking and awaken the entrepreneurial spirit. Lalela is at the forefront of art education in South Africa and is searching for a full-time Community Art Facilitator to join the team, based at our Lalela programme at the Zeitz Mocaa.
Purpose of Job:
To oversee and facilitate after school art workshops at Lalela’s exciting programme at the Zeitz Mocaa to
ensure desired outcomes and critical messaging.
Facilitation of Lalela Project’s Zeitz Mocaa Programme:
- Responsible for the running of all aspects of the programme, including its day-to-day operations, in line with the purpose and vision of the organisation.
- Facilitate educational arts workshops with grade 4 – 12 learners at the Lalela Zeitz Mocaa programme.
- Overseeing admin, including monthly, reports, attendance registers, transport arrangements, art work documentation and archiving and classroom photographs.
- Contributing content to Lalela for the blog and monthly newsletter where relevant and supplying text and images for use on social media, identify success stories and other content opportunities.
- Responsible for the implementation of Lalela’s facilitation method; curriculum prepping; and managing resource allocation for the programme.
- Maintaining regular communication with the Programme Manager and other members of the Cape Town HQ when required; including the reporting of pertinent activities and ensuring alignment with Lalela’s vision and mission.
- Responsible for maintaining the relationship with partners including, but not limited to, establishing protocols, negotiating the use of shared space, transport arrangements, internal communications, and report writing.
- Maintaining relationships with the Zeitz Mocaa Education department and participating schools, including outreach with teachers, principals and parents, where relevant.
Holiday Programmes, Special Programmes & Workshops:
Co-ordinate holiday programmes, special programmes, events and workshops by:
- Conceptualising and implementing workshops for Lalela holiday programmes at the Zeitz Mocaa in April, June and December.
- Co-ordinate the logistical planning and implementation of events and special programming (including venues, transport, schedules, logistics, material and food requirements etc.) in conjunction with the Cape Town HQ, and oversee overall running of programmes.
- Co-ordinating and overseeing Lalela’s annual exhibition at the Zeitz Mocaa, including selecting, mounting and hanging the work, writing supporting text, inviting guests and arranging catering, in conjunction with the Cape Town HQ.
- Have a strong knowledge of facilitation methodology and experiential learning.
- A diploma/degree/proven work experience in Visual Art Education, Art History and/or Fine art in the creative art or design industry. (Candidates need to have visual art skills, as they will be teaching drawing and basic elements of visual art and design to learners.) This is not a performing art or dance position.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience working in the industry.
- Must reside in Cape Town.
- Prior (South African) work experience in the youth development sector is advantageous.
- Previous work experience in the (South African) NGO or Youth Development sector advantageous.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Computer literacy Microsoft office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint Google Drive and social media essential).