Oliewenhuis Art Museum is seeking a dedicated and motivated graduate intern to gain work experience as an Art Museum Guide. The interns will gain experience in guiding visitors through an art museum and ensure the safety and security of all artworks on exhibition. The student should be able to interact professionally with visitors, effectively handle queries from visitors, have knowledge of visual art and have the ability to communicate with people of diverse backgrounds and ages. The successful intern will work in shifts on an intermittent basis during the week and over weekends.
- Visual Art qualification and/or currently studying towards one.
- Practical knowledge and/or experience of visual art and heritage would be an advantage.
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to communicate in English (speaking Sotho would be an advantage).
- A friendly, outgoing personality and the ability to speak comfortably in front of small and large groups of people and be able to communicate with people of diverse backgrounds and ages.
- Ability to physically accompany people and lead tours around the Museum.
- Enthusiasm and a willingness to learn and to do basic research on temporary and permanent exhibitions.
- An eager inquisitive individual that shows interest or experience in art education.
Key Performance Areas
The employment of this position is for the purpose of being trained and gaining work experience in order to enter a job or profession. The candidate is therefore responsible for the following:
- Guiding visitors through art exhibitions and providing information on the artists and artworks on display.
- Ensuring the safety and security of all artworks on exhibition.
- Professional interaction with visitors and effective handling of queries regarding Oliewenhuis Art.
- Museum, temporary and permanent exhibitions and to conduct informative Guided Tours.
- Assistance with general administration, exhibitions, projects and events, educational workshops and activities. This will include after-hour events.
- Communication will be limited to the short-listed candidates only.
- Short-listed candidates will be subjected to a comprehensive selection process.
- The National Museum is committed to Employment Equity and aims to attract and retain talented individuals to achieve its equity objectives. Therefore people from designated groups, including those with disabilities, are encouraged to apply.
- The National Museum reserves the right not to fill an advertised position.
- Applications not meeting the criteria will be disqualified.
- Should you not hear from us within one month after the closing date, consider your application unsuccessful.
Enquiries: For further enquiries, contact Ms. Tshedi Goliath on 051 447 9609, alternatively send your email to firstname.lastname@example.org.