The Sibikwa Arts Centre, an NGO based in Benoni, seeks to employ an Artistic Director to succeed the current Director. A leading multi-disciplinary art centre in South Africa, Sibikwa is an award-winning NPO with a rich history of 33 years in performing arts, entertainment and education. Sibikwa is recognized as a Centre of Excellence by the Department of Sport, Arts & Culture and is an accredited service provider with CATHSSETA.
The Artistic Director will be responsible for conceiving, developing and implementing the artistic and educational vision and focus of Sibikwa; reporting to the Board of Directors. The selected candidate will be expected to:
- Contribute to and work to achieve the objectives of Sibikwa’s strategic plan, including building Sibikwa as a creative hub within the Ekurhuleni Metro.
- Create and manage new and exciting world-class productions and event programmes.
- Liaise and network with the performing arts community; to provide a platform for emerging and established artists to advance and showcase their work; promote South African performing arts, and provide a space for the community to engage with multi-disciplinary art forms.
- Ensure the provision of high-quality arts education and skills development programmes.
- Promote Sibikwa Arts Centre to a diverse audience to foster an appreciation of and interest in the performing arts.
- Raise awareness of and advocate for the arts.
- Strengthen relationships and liaise with high level national and international partners.
The suitably qualified candidate must have:
- A minimum of ten years experience within the field.
- A degree in a performing arts discipline.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Expertise in a leadership role, inclusive of people management.
- Expertise in financial management including fundraising and income generation.
- Actively engaged within the community arts sector.
Some national and international travelling could be required. Appropriate coaching in the role will be provided. The selected candidate should be available to start the handover period in May to take the position from 1 July. A competitive remuneration package will be paid to the successful candidate who is appointed to the position.