Organization Name: Digital Arts: Analogue Games & Narrative Design – Wits School of Arts Department
DIGITAL ARTS is a strongly interdisciplinary department that offers undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in Interactive Media, Game Design, Digital Animation, and Interactive Storytelling. The department has strong ties with both the contemporary art scene and the creative industries in South Africa. With an emphasis on experimentation and research in both theory and creative practice, Digital Arts is an area of growth, attracting students from South Africa and Africa.
Digital Arts is recruiting an Associate Lecturer in Analogue Games and Narrative Design on a Three Year Fixed Term Contract with the intention for the incumbent to be appointed into a permanent Lecturer position at the end of the contract, should they meet the objectives set upon employment. The Associate Lecturer post is primarily intended to allow candidates passionate about moving into academic research and teaching roles to enter the institution. The post will also support them in developing the required skills and qualifications to apply for a full Lectureship by completing a PhD by the end of the contract period.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A Masters’s or equivalent Degree in a relevant field and evidence of registration for and progress towards a PhD.
- Experience in Analogue Game Design and in the board game industry.
- Teaching or tutoring experience.
Research and Teaching Interest:
- A suitable candidate should have a keen interest and understanding of analogue games and play. This understanding should encompass board games, card games and TTRPG.
- They should also have a good understanding of narrative design and writing concerning various forms of Playful Media.
- These two areas will form the core component of the teaching and research duties required for the post.
- A suitable candidate should have some experience in the following areas. This position is a developmental post, which offers the opportunity to augment these skills.
- ¡ñ Twine, Ren¡¯Py and Inky
- ¡ñ A good understanding of Analogue Game Design and the processes associated with this.
Duties and Expectations:
- Limited teaching into the Analogue Game Design and Writing and Interactivity course at an undergraduate level.
- Assisting in managing collaborative projects across disciplines.
- Assisting with divisional administration and portfolios.
- The successful candidate would be required to complete a PhD as part of their academic duties.