The Bag Factory Artists’ Studios is inviting applications for the Bag Factory Young Female Artist Residency. The programme, funded by the Department of Arts and Culture, will offer an emerging / early career female artist (under 35) with a 6 month fully funded residency at the Bag Factory Artists’ Studios. The artist will be provided with studio space at the Bag Factory, a small materials budget, and a monthly stipend towards travel and living expenses. The programme will culminate in a solo exhibition at the Bag Factory showcasing the artist’s work in March 2019.
This programme will begin on 1 October 2018 and run until 29 March 2019.
The artist is expected to:
Work from the Bag Factory, interacting with Bag Factory and local artists, and experiencing the city.
- Attend the Bag Factory’s events and artist’s meetings.
- Produce new works for a solo exhibition at the Bag Factory.
- Complete a written report on their visit.
- Arrive on time and stay for the full period (6 months).
What will a successful applicant receive?
- A studio space.
- A small materials budget for art production while in residence.
- A monthly stipend towards transport and living expenses.
- A solo exhibition at the Bag Factory Artists’ Studios.
Applicants should not expect to profit financially from their stay as this is a cultural development programme.
Applicants will NOT receive any funding towards accommodation or transport from outside Johannesburg.
DEADLINE FOR ALL SUBMISSIONS is Friday 31 August 2018 at 17:00 (SAST).
How are the applications assessed?
Applications are assessed by the Bag Factory Artists’ Studios Programme Selection Committee. Please be advised that if your application is successful for the visiting artists’ programme and you are not from South Africa, there is a participation fee you are required to pay 60 days prior to arrival in order to confirm your place in the programme.