Artist Blessing Ngobeni will be supporting a young, emerging artist (under 35 and not represented by a gallery) with a twelve-week studio residency and solo exhibition at the Bag Factory Artists’ Studios. The artist will be provided with studio space at the Bag Factory, as well as a small materials budget and monthly stipend. The programme will culminate in a solo exhibition showcasing the artist’s work.
This programme will begin on 24 September and run until 14 December 2018, with the exhibition opening in January 2019.
The artist is expected to:
- Work from the Bag Factory, interacting with Bag Factory and local artists, and experiencing the city.
- Attend the Bag Factory’s events and artist’s meetings.
- Produce new works for a solo exhibition at the Bag Factory.
- Complete a written report on their visit.
- Arrive on time and stay for the full period (12 weeks).
What will a successful applicant receive?
- A studio space.
- A small materials budget for art production while in residence.
- A monthly stipend towards transport and living expenses.
- A solo exhibition at the Bag Factory Artists’ Studios.
Applicants should not expect to profit financially from their stay as this is a cultural development programme.
Applicants will NOT receive any funding towards accommodation or transport from outside Johannesburg.