The Bag Factory Artists’ Studios seeks to appoint a dynamic and experienced full time Director to lead the organisation in promoting its vision and mission, ensuring a culture that encourages interaction, exchange of ideas, co-operation, independence, and an environment in which artists can work and develop.
The overall objective of the role is to provide strategic leadership, assuring optimal planning, effective fundraising and financial management, maintain positive organisational image, develop and oversee programs while managing day to day operations.
The position reports to The Chairperson and members of the Board of Directors.
Areas of Accountability and Responsibility
Fundraising and Resource Development
- To ensure that funds are raised to meet short term and long term operational plans of the Bag Factory
- To Identify, pursue and attract sources of funding locally and internationally
- Develop funding proposals and contracts, and monitor compliance with the funder’s requirements, reporting back to funders as required.
- Initiate innovative alternative sources of funding to meet the discretionary expenditure
- To create and develop networks within the visual arts that help to sustain and promote the Bag Factory’s vision.
Financial and Budget Management
- Supervise the preparation and presentation of the yearly budgets to the Board, ensuring its in line with the Bag Factory’s objectives
- Ensure that feedback expenditure reports to funders are prepared and accurate
- Ensure expenditure is within budget and funds are adequate for the implementation and administration of programmes.
- Supervise and monitor administrative expenditure, keeping it within budget
- Ensure the occupancy rate at the Studios is kept high and rental collection is up to date
Program Development, Implementation and Management
- Ensure that programmes are appropriate; are implemented within budget and funds are available for their successful implementation.
- To plan and manage overall financial budgets as well as programmes.
- To ensure positive feedback from Artists, Staff and Visitors
- Provide accurate and regular reports to the Board of Directors
- Ensure the high involvement and commitment from the selected artists
External Affairs and Stakeholder Relations
- Oversee the promotion and representation (through publicity, participation and visibility in relevant forums and professional platforms)
- Ensure a high quality of all marketing collateral, brochures, websites etc.
- Ensure that programmes are diverse, relevant, penetrate the market and meet the needs of the target’s audience.
- To raise the profile and images of the Bag Factory within the targeted audiences nationally and internationally
- An awareness of the Bag Factory, its goals, objectives, activities is developed and communicated
- Oversee the creating of a live database of patrons and friends of the Bag Factory is maintained with ongoing activities.
Human Capital Management
- Ensure Bag Factory recruits and attracts high quality of staff
- To recruit, induct, train and manage the appropriate staff to fill vacancies
- Stimulate staff growth and development
- Manage performance appraisals and liaise with Board on incentive programmes
- Monitor staff performance, ensuring that it’s in line with the goals and objectives of the Bag Factory
Organizational Development, Leadership and Culture
- A stimulated culture & atmosphere; positive climate within the premises
- High standards in facility management, housekeeping and security.
- Interpretation of the Bag Factory philosophy as well as the Thupelo Trust.
- Work effectively with the Board of Directors, following board directives, ensuring policies are updated and communicated, rules and procedures are recognised, acknowledged and adhered to
- Ensures the Board of Directors receives any board documents they need to attend to expeditiously to ensure they apply their minds adequately to any issues required of them
- Maintaining structure by sending out notices, providing agenda, and coordinating meetings.
The candidate should be able to demonstrate the following competencies and attributes:
- A passion for the arts
- Adaptability and Flexibility
- Accountability and Dependability
- Analysis and Reasoning
- Attention to detail
- Creative and Innovative thinking
- Strong decision making and judgement
- Ethics and integrity
- Strong writing skills and communication capability
- Relationship building
- Financial acumen
Qualification and Requirements:
- Tertiary qualifications, with preference for a candidate with experience relevant to the position including previous employment by an arts organisation, a non-profit entity or a for-profit organisation
- Willingness to work beyond standard work hours, including evenings and weekends