The University of South Africa invites you to submit an application to be considered for the commission of an academic portrait. The recipients must reside in Gauteng or willing to stay in Gauteng for the completion of project/work.
Requirements for shortlisted candidates:
- The candidate should present three oil paintings, at least one of which must be a portrait, at Muckleneuk Campus, Pretoria. The specific venue will be provided in the shortlisting letter. The date and time shall be communicated to successful candidates in the last two weeks of May 2019.
- All artworks must be two dimensional and no sculptures, photographs or digital artworks are allowed.
- Shortlisted candidates are requested to be present for a 15-minute discussion of their professional practice with the panel. Candidates are welcome to present catalogues of previous exhibitions.
The selected artist for the commission will be notified on 31 May 2019.
- Meetings with the panel
- Photographic sessions with the sitter
- The portrait must be executed in oil paint on stretched canvas. Format approximately 1150 x 900mm – 1260 x 1000mm.
- The painting style must be realistic and must follow conventions of the existing academic portraits.
- Commissioning panel will do studio visits at prearranged dates. The first studio visit is mid-June 2019,
- Provisional deadline for completion is end of 30 November 2019.
- Further details will be discussed with the selected artist
- The UNISA procurement office will draft an agreement comprising of payment, deadlines and conditions.