Established in 2016, we are leading African fine art consultants and auctioneers operating from Johannesburg and Cape Town. We hold many art market records and industry firsts and have instigated a real paradigmatic shift, contributing to a more inclusive and representative industry, while increasing global appreciation and regard for art from this continent. In our work, we are committed to being representative, while promoting diversity, access, and inclusivity throughout the art industry.
- This role will be responsible for all aspects related to handling, cataloguing, and researching artworks consigned for auctions/sales.
- To assist the Art Specialists in art market research for art valuations, as well as any other tasks as required.
Areas of responsibility, including but not limited to:
- Process, record and label all incoming artworks.
- Handle artworks and work closely with the Store Manager to ensure safe-keeping and proper storage of artworks.
- Manage the inventory system.
- Catalogue all artworks allocated for auction/sales. Confirm authenticity and source provenance, exhibition history and literature.
- Collect relevant images and bibliographies.
- Assist with research for academic texts and presentations.
- Produce in-depth Condition Reports.
- Manage photography of artworks and archiving of photographs.
- Assist with catalogue production. Proof all cataloguing and essays and ensure the style guide is adhered to.
- Assist with art valuations and proposals for consignments, working collaboratively with the art specialists.
- Assist with all aspects of auction production and exhibition installation and de-installation.
- Actively participate in events and other industry functions with a focus on face-to-face client contact; and
- Any other related duties as required from time to time.
Personal Attributes and Skills:
- Decision making / Independent thinking;
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written);
- Computer Literacy (Microsoft Office Suite, email and internet). Basic design skills including Adobe Photoshop and InDesign will be beneficial.
Education and Experience:
- BA Degree in Fine Art, Visual Studies, Art History or Theory of Art or equivalent Honours qualification (Essential).
- 1 – 2 years of working experience in a similar position or related field.
- In-depth academic and market knowledge of (South African and African) modern and contemporary art.
- A love of art, an interest in the art market and the ability to work well under pressure and in a team environment;
- Exposure/experience in the art industry (Advantageous).
Aspire Art Auctions is an equal opportunity employer and employs staff without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, language, citizenship, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, physical handicap, or financial ability.
Aspire Art Auctions remains cognisant of the need to eliminate unfair discrimination and implement affirmative action measures to redress the advantages in employment and will in its actions focus on utilising and managing diversity as derived from the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, 1996 and the Employment Equity Act, no. 55 of 1998, as far as it is able.