Travel Grants to attend the CIMAM 2019 Annual Conference in Sydney
International Committee for Museums and Collections of Modern Art – offers around 22 travel grants to curators, researchers and museum directors of contemporary art to attend the CIMAM 2019 Annual Conference taking place in Sydney (15–17 November 2019). Grants are generously funded by the Getty Foundation, Adam Mickiewicz Institute, Alserkal Arts Foundation, V-A-C Foundation and Byucksan Foundation.
CIMAM’s Travel Grant Program supports individuals’ curatorial and research development through their attendance to the Annual Conference where the most current concerns on contemporary art practices are being discussed. Awarded candidates benefit from unique networking opportunities through interaction and exchange with international museum directors and peers.
Grants are restricted to the modern and contemporary art museum or collection directors and curators in need of financial help to attend CIMAM’s Annual Conference. Researchers and independent curators whose field of research and specialization is contemporary art theory, collections and museums and most of their field of professional activity is related to the functions of an art museum, are also eligible. Applicants should not be involved in any kind of commercial or for-profit activity.
While professionals of all career levels are encouraged to apply, priority is given to junior directors and curators (less than 10 years’ experience). Candidates who have previously received CIMAM grants from the same grant contributor may only be considered for a new grant after 3 years since the previous grant was awarded.
- The Getty Foundation, Los Angeles Supports professionals residing in countries with Emerging Market and Developing Economies according to the International Monetary Fund’s World Economic Outlook.
- Adam Mickiewicz Institute, Warsaw Supports contemporary art professionals residing in Poland.
- Alserkal Arts Foundation, Dubai Supports professionals residing in or whose practices relate to the United Arab Emirates and the wider Middle East and North Africa region (Algeria, Bahrain, Djibouti, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Syria, and Tunisia) and the South Asian countries (Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal, India, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka).
- V-A-C Foundation, Moscow Supports professionals residing in Russia and the countries of the former Soviet Union (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Estonia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan).
- Byucksan Foundation, Seoul Supports professionals residing in the Northeast Asia region (Republic of Korea, China, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, and Mongolia).
Purpose of the grant
The support is limited to cover conference registration*, travel expenses (round trip economy flight tickets only) and 4-night accommodation in one of the hotels recommended by CIMAM.
Distribution of funds is set on a case-by-case basis for each recipient. CIMAM books and pre-pays all expenses directly (travel and accommodation) avoiding reimbursements to any grantee. Funds do not cover transportation to/from the airport, visa expenses, travel insurance and registration to the optional conference tours.
- Conference registration includes access to all conference sessions, lunches, dinners, refreshment breaks, access to organized visits and coach service to and from planned visits.