Job Title: Communications Manager
Department: Institutional Advancement
Reporting to: Head of Institutional Advancement
Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa (Zeitz MOCAA) is a not-for-profit institution that exhibits, collects, preserves, and researches contemporary art from Africa and its diaspora; conceives and hosts international exhibitions; develops supporting educational, discursive, and enriching programmes; encourages intercultural understanding; and strives for access for all.
The museum’s galleries feature rotating, temporary exhibitions with a dedicated space for the permanent collection. The institution also includes the Centre for Art Education, the Centre for the Moving Image, and a Project Space for emerging artists. It opened to the public in September 2017.
This role reports into the Head of Institutional Advancement and is responsible for the delivery against all elements of the communications, public relations, and marketing programmes. Including media relations, development of communications, marketing collateral and the implementation of marketing campaigns, working with external agencies, as well as strategising and overseeing the roll out of digital channels, including social media and newsletters.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES / ESSENTIAL DUTIES
The Communications Manager focuses on a comprehensive list of key duties and responsibilities which includes, but not limited to:
Communications, Public Relations, and Media Relations management
- Implement integrated communications and marketing and plans for exhibitions, educational programmes, events, and institutional development initiatives, to maintain and increase the museum’s visibility and attendance
- Manage and drive the day-to-day operations of communications department, including conceptualisation and coordination of press previews
- Developing standards, systems and best practices for content creation, distribution, maintenance, content retrieval and content repurposing
- Manage and coordinate all media requests, pitches, and relations
- Write, edit, and sign off press release schedules, articles, and briefs
- Tracking and reporting press coverage
Social Media Content Writing and Editing
- Develop a social media strategy across all the museum’s social media platforms
- Manage social media roll out including proofing, vetting images, and attaining sign off from relevant parties
- Develop, draft, and edit collateral – e.g., brochures, newsletters etc.
- Writing, editing and proofing copy for all marketing collateral, including presentations, campaigns, press releases, websites
- Manage print proofing for marketing and communications materials
Marketing planning and Management
- Plan, develop, and implement effective lead generation and promotional campaigns that utilise the full marketing portfolio
- Develop marketing collateral including adverts, promotional banners, and museum signage and other
Relationship Management with key internal and external partners.
- Communicate and collaborate frequently with staff members from other departments and programming to understand the goals of exhibitions, publications, and other projects and to create appropriate media for them.
- Proactively engage and establish relationships with local and international media and freelance writers to ensure optimal museum media exposure
- Manage many projects simultaneously from concept through completion, including exhibition graphics, educational and interpretive materials, invitations and brochures, gallery didactics, promotional banners, and signage, print and digital advertising, and web-based communications
- Budget Management
- Lead and manage the team on all people aspects.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications with other relevant discipline, or related field (Marketing, PR/Journalism/Political Science, Media Studies)
- 5 years of relevant communications and marketing / corporate and consumer marketing communications experience
- Strong working knowledge of marketing communication practices.
- May be required to work after hours when PR, Media, or programmes take place
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Good people leadership and management
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Well-developed and proven verbal/written communication skills
- Excellent public speaking ability and good speech writing skills
- Ability to effectively multitask and coordinate a high level of activity under a variety of conditions and constraints and completion within deadlines
- Exceptional organisational, project management and time management skills
- Ability to remain calm, collected, and professional in a crisis
- Excellent diplomacy and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships (internal/external)
- Strong computer skills with high level of proficiency in full Microsoft Office suite
- Works well independently and in team settings
- High level initiative with the ability to self-motivate
- Art and museums will be an added advantage