Lalela provides educational arts for youth from under-resourced communities to spark creative thinking and awaken the entrepreneurial spirit. Lalela is at the forefront of art education in South Africa and is searching for two full time FEMALE Creative Art and Female Empowerment Facilitators to join our team, based in Masiphumelele and Hout Bay, Western Cape.
Purpose of Job:
To oversee the Lalela programming and facilitate Creative Art workshops with grades 6- 12 learners, and the Lalela Female Empowerment programme with grade 8 girls to ensure desired outcomes and critical messaging.
- Facilitate educational art workshops from grades 6-12 focusing mainly on visual arts and female empowerment in Masiphumelele and Hout Bay, Cape Town.
- Manage and execute the day-to-day operations of the workshops, student attendance, supplies, expenditure, custodials, security, safety and transportation of learners.
- Plan and execute School Holiday Programmes and independent Lalela outings and events, which includes the management of venues, volunteers, transport, material, etc.
- Contribute to the MEL system developed by Lalela.
- Manage co-facilitator.
- Oversee admin, including monthly/quarterly reports, attendance registers, artwork documentation and archiving and classroom photographs.
- Contributing content to Lalela for the blog and monthly newsletter where relevant and supplying text and images for use on social media, identify success stories and other content opportunities.
- Responsible for the implementation of Lalela’s facilitation method; curriculum prepping; and managing resource allocation for the programme.
- Maintaining regular communication with the Programme Manager and other members of the Cape Town HQ when required; including the reporting of pertinent activities and ensuring alignment with Lalela’s vision and mission.
- Responsible for maintaining the relationship with partners including, but not limited to, establishing protocols, negotiating the use of shared space, transport arrangements, internal communications, and report writing.
- Maintaining relationships with participating schools and other organisations, including outreach
with teachers, principals and parents, where relevant.
- Due to the nature of the female empowerment programme, we are only seeking female candidates.
- Strong commitment to promoting and achieving gender equality in South Africa.
- Have strong knowledge of facilitation methodology and experiential learning.
- A diploma / degree in Visual Art Education and/or Fine art or relevant diploma in the creative art or design industry. (Candidates need to be able to draw, as they will be teaching drawing and basic elements of visual art and design to learners.) This is not a performing arts or dance position.
- Minimum of two years’ previous visual art teaching / facilitation (South African) experience essential
- Must reside in Cape Town.
- Minimum of 2 years work experience in the sector.
- Previous work experience in the (South African) NGO or Youth Development sector is advantageous.
- Computer literacy Microsoft office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and social media essential)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must have own vehicle with driver’s license.