The Goodman Gallery is looking for a curatorial assistant to work alongside our high-energy curatorial team in Johannesburg. The successful candidate will assist the curatorial team with a variety of curatorial aspects, including, but not limited to, exhibition production and project management, artist liaison, planning art fair booths, updating the Goodman Gallery website with artist information and images.
Employment Type: Full Time
- Tuesday-Friday: 08H30-17H30
Salary: Dependent on experience
The successful candidate will:
- Have 3-5 years experience as a curatorial assistant
- Have commercial gallery experience
- Be conversant in an Asian or European language (preferable but not essential)
- Ideally have networks and international work experience in the U.K., U.S, France and Switzerland
- Proficiency in programmes such as Photoshop, Sketch-Up, In-Design and Excel spreadsheets
- Be articulate, well-spoken, well presented and converse easily with artists, clients and suppliers
- Have strong writing and editing skills
- Be able to generate video content and be able to edit this content
- Have strong technical skills
- Be proficient in all forms of social media including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
- Assisting with the galleries’ exhibition programme
- Assisting curators with the co-ordination of exhibitions and with the production of artworks.
- Supporting the curatorial team in building relationships with directors/curators of museums/institutions, independent curators, other industry professionals.
- Participating in curatorial research initiatives and special projects.
- Assisting with events and projects related to art fairs
- Preparation for visiting museum groups and curators, including planning itineraries, research, logistics, production, set-up, artist presentations, studio visits etc
- Assist in the production of catalogues- editing, proof-reading , liaising with
various parties to ensure catalogues are produced professionally and
- Support with administration related to gallery artists
- Assistance with travel plans for exhibitions
- Logistics for museum exhibitions including loan forms and consignment agreements
- Inventory administration and management including returning work to artists and loading new inventory
- Compiling sales pdf’s (updating regularly and advising sales staff of priority changes)
- Website- ensuring all artist information is updated and accurate at all times
- Compiling artist portfolio documents and biographies