democraSEE aims to develop and show important contemporary photography stories and content that deal with social and political issues and imaginaries from the Southern African region.
Photo: wants to create a space to acknowledge photographers and photography’s role and position in relation to the world. Furthermore, it intends to support the growth of visual languages in photography.
The recipient of the award will receive:
- A R40,000 (South African Rand) grant towards the development of an existing or making of a new body of work
- Mentoring support from an appointed mentor/curator (appointed in consultation with the photographer)
- Critique sessions with appointed subject and practice experts
- Ongoing support and mentorship from Photo:
- Online publication of the completed work on the website
Photographers from Southern Africa, including:
Angola, Botswana, Burundi, Comoros, DRC, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, Seychelles, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Zambia, and Zimbabwe can enter the awards.
The selection panel is appointed per award. It consists of a group of leading regional and international experts – curators, photographers, gallerists, journalists, critics or social scientists – who will consider applications.
For more information contact Amy Daniels ator +27 (11) 482 1251