Initiated in 2020 as an active response to the challenges facing the live music scene due to the Covid-19 pandemic, this is the third iteration of the Concerts SA Digital Mobility Fund. Whereas previously Concerts SA offered support for national and regional travel through our Mobility Fund, current circumstances in the country and the region have made it necessary to shift our funding focus to continue providing support to artists. The grants awarded from this Digital Mobility Fund are to be used for the online presentation of concerts, either streamed live or by way of a delayed broadcast. The concerts need to be recorded with a live audience in line with all Covid-19 protocols in place at the time.
Please note the following before commencing with your proposal:
- Applicants are required to create a band/artist profile on the Music In Africa website (www.musicinafrica.net). A Music In Africa profile allows music professionals to add a concise professional bio, pictures, videos, music, and other career aspects. The URL link is required in the application form below.
- Successful applicants will receive a grant of R30 000. The Concerts SA grant may not cover the full costs of the production, therefore plans or evidence of income from ticket sales, partnerships, and any other additional support improve chances of success.
- Artists must ensure the careful ownership and management of their music rights in their dealings with streaming platforms for this call out and in terms of future self-management.
- Concerts SA will not take any responsibility for the health and safety of the musicians, crew, and audiences at the venues. Health & safety protocols in accordance with government directives for the events are essential.
- In line with the above criteria and the need for social distancing, Concerts SA cannot consider applications for large-scale live events.
- An independent adjudication panel will be responsible for selecting and approving the recipients of these subsidies.
- Submitting an application does not guarantee you a support subsidy.
- The time period in which your concert recording & streaming needs to take place is between 4 October 2021 to 5 December 2021. Reports are mandatory within 7 days of completion of the broadcast/stream.
- The names of successful applicants will be published on the Concerts SA and IKSafrica.com websites and no further correspondence will be entered.
- Reporting is a prerequisite, and that funding will be disbursed in tranches & final disbursement is dependent on accurate and approved reporting.