In relation to the Digital Imaginaires: Premonition Exhibition, Fak’ugesi Festival is collaborating with the Wits Art Museum to offer a specialist workshop in Augmented Reality.
Young digital artists, designers and makers using UNITY in Johannesburg can expand their AR knowledge with experts in the field through a 10 day workshop and its all mahala!
The aim of the workshop, outside of learning augmented reality, is to explore as a theme the intersection of urban, spiritual and digital spaces in Johannesburg; the “Digital Spirit” of Johannesburg. This may explored by natural or unnatural time; through people and how they are connected; or the types of data produced and used in and about Johannesburg. What is your understanding of the “Digital Spirit” of Jozi?
This workshop will run alongside an exhibition at Wits Art Museum, part of which showcases the work that was developed in the first and much shorter workshop at the Dakar Biennale in May, 2018. The outcomes of this Johannesburg workshop will be shortlisted to show at the ZKM in Germany in October as part of the Digital Imaginaires project.
The workshops will provide the opportunity to:
- Two weekend workshops exploring AR and expanding your existing knowledge of UNITY.
- Learning from AR industry experts in a masterclass setting.
- Explore Joburg through the light of its “digital spirit”.
- Develop a piece to be shorted listed for the ZKM exhibition.
- Aged 18 to 35
- Have existing knowledge of UNITY.
- Be based in Johannesburg or willing to cover your own travel & accommodations costs to participate in the workshop.
- Have functioning smartphones and computers that meet the operating requirements of UNITY.
- Full availability during 25 August – 2 September 2018 – over these weekends.