TALENT UNLOCKED calls for applications for a 6-month part-time mentorship and curatorial programme, culminating in an exhibition at the Turbine Art Fair in July 2018. Only Gauteng based curators may apply.
The Turbine Art Fair together with VANSA and Assemblage, host the RMB Talent Unlocked exhibition in 2018, formerly known as Fresh Produce, at the Annual Turbine Art Fair. The RMB Talent Unlocked exhibition has made an open call for submissions targeted at young curators based in Gauteng. Successful candidates will have the opportunity curate the exhibition at the Turbine Art Fair which will take place in July 2018.
The 6-month long mentorship with previous curator and mentor Rolihlahla Mhlanga, is focused on curatorial research on young and emerging artists as well as the development of the curatorial focus for the RMB Talent Unlocked exhibition at the Turbine Art Fair in July 2018. The exhibition is a culmination of the Artist Career Development Programme. Assemblage will be running a 6-month intensive Peer Mentoring programme that integrates practical art-making (which focuses on process and conceptual development) and professional practice training. The aim is to provide the artists with a comprehensive programme that encompasses the necessary tools to help them build and sustain a career in the industry. The ultimate goal is to strengthen the artist’s work as a whole by providing the participants with not only a guide through the development of their work, but most importantly the tools that put their career into action within the industry.
This professional development opportunity will allow the recipient to develop and realise an exhibition under the guidance of the mentor. The emerging curator gains experience in all aspects of developing a major exhibition and producing an exhibition catalogue. As part of this mentorship the recipient also provides support to the artists during the consecutive running of the professional practice training workshops and peer mentoring designed for the participating artists. He/she will stand to gain insight and experience in the decision-making processes that determine the Talent Unlocked exhibition program at the Turbine Art Fair in 2018.
- Applicant should have curated at least 2 exhibitions in the past two years
- Applicant should be available for an interview between 19 and 22 December 2017
- Applicant must commit from end of February – August 2018
- Ability to work well with people from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to multitask
- Experienced user of MS Office toolset (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator an advantage
- Submit a bio and CV via the online application process
- Include 3 references
- Applicant should be under the age of 35
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
The mentee will receive a stipend for the duration of the programme.