AfrikaBurn is seeking a dynamic and experienced Executive Director of Operations (EDO). The position will be focused on managing general operations, reporting directly to the Board of Directors, and will work in tandem with the Executive Director of Development.
AfrikaBurn is the strategic driver of Burning Man culture in the Southern African region and plays a significant role in the arts and culture sector of South Africa. Most known for its flagship event in the Tankwa Karoo, as a public benefit organisation, AfrikaBurn is the human scaffold that helps a diverse creative community propel numerous arts and development projects.
As the event sector begins to open up in the endemic phase of COVID, our operational demands are significant, and require the addition of an experienced leadership role to oversee a portfolio of activities and functions.
We are looking for an experienced individual, who can effectively participate in collective governance, as well as independently organise, manage, and inspire. In particular the EDO will have oversight of governance, financial management, human resources, information systems, and event production.
The EDO will be responsible for the functional operations of the organisation, the collective development and execution of strategy, and productive engagement with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- At least five years of experience with general management at senior executive or event director level, preferably including oversight of finance, HR, event operations, and stakeholder management
- Based in – or able to relocate to – Cape Town, South Africa
- Participated in, or extensive knowledge of, an AfrikaBurn or Burning Man regional, event
- Good knowledge of the South African arts, cultural, and creative sectors
- Contribute to strategy development and organisational structure design, and ensure the implementation of that strategy and structure
- Build a constructive, supportive, happy team and working culture
- Oversee the HR function, including recruiting, contracting, and performance management
- Oversee financial systems and compliance
- Oversee financial budgets (long term, short term, and project specific), and monitor variances
- Oversee the event production processes with support from the operations team, including ideation, planning, budgeting, communications, and execution
- Be the ultimate point of contact for the operations team and contractors, where they cannot resolve problems on their own
- Monitor and report on key indicators of strategy actualisation
- Take ownership of new projects, especially in relation to Quaggafontein
- Develop policies and standard operating procedures, where those do not exist or where gaps exist
Traits: (We value these highly)
- Outcome focused
- Collaborative, enjoys seeing others succeed and can create working environments for teams to thrive, be recognised and deliver exceptional work
- Conscientious; a strong sense of duty and personal responsibility
- Self-aware and self-reflective
- Respectful of collective decision-making and consultative processes
- Excellent interpersonal skills, able to respect, manage and motivate a variety of independent and passionate characters and volunteers
- Able to embrace the unknown and thrive in a pressured environment