SMAC Gallery is looking for a mid-to-senior level candidate who is a highly motivated individual to join our dynamic team on a full-time basis. This position requires an aptitude for research, writing and communication. The successful candidate should have a well-informed understanding of contemporary artistic practice. The position is based out of the Cape Town gallery.
Salary: Dependent on experience , mid to senior level position
Job Type: permanent with 3 months’ probation
Monday – Friday, 9h00 – 17h00, and 2 Saturdays per month (10h00 – 15h00), with overtime during busy periods, exhibition openings and when needed.
Start: as soon as possible
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Curatorial research for new artists, projects, publications and applications
- Curatorial engagement with artists and institutions.
- Assisting with the galleries’ exhibition and fair programme
- Assist with managing the gallery’s relationships with represented artists
- Compiling and maintaining artist biographies, CV’s and other texts
- Content generation for exhibitions, publications and applications
- Assisting with exhibitions and other projects
- Assisting with exhibition openings
- Artwork sales and Client liaison
- Artist Management – including administration and logistics related to gallery artists and outside projects as well as ensuring accuracy of artist information.
- Facilitating outside projects and exhibitions
- Preparation for visiting museum groups – including planning itineraries, research, logistics, productions, set up artist presentations, studio visits etc.
- Institutional liaison – managing and promoting relationships with museums, foundations andother institutions
- Assist in the production of catalogues – editing, proof-reading and liaison.
- Must have the ability to engage with clients and artists alike- easily, respectfully and meaningfully
- Relevant qualification; a degree in Fine Art or Art History is preferred
- Must have minimum of 3 – 5 years’ gallery experience (at least part of this in a commercial gallery)
- Driver’s license, own reliable vehicle
- Good time management
- Attention to detail and ability to take instruction
- Contactable references