Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa (Zeitz MOCAA) is a public not-for-profit contemporary art museum which collects, preserves, researches, and exhibits twenty-first century art from Africa and its Diaspora; hosts international exhibitions; develops supporting educational and enrichment programmes; encourages intercultural understanding; and guarantees access for all. Over one hundred galleries, spread over nine floors, are dedicated to a large cutting-edge permanent collection; temporary exhibitions; and Centres for Art Education, Curatorial Excellence, Performative Practice, Photography, the Moving Image, and the Costume Institute.
Reporting to the Facilities Supervisor, the Facilities Assistant is responsible for keeping the building in optimum operating condition by performing preventative maintenance and repairs within the museum, both in private and public spaces. This role assists with the day-to-day management of contractors to ensure appropriate standards are maintained.
- Conducting investigations, evaluation & restorations on identified equipment malfunction
- Logging and reporting all technical faults and following up on all related incidents
- Performing office (furniture and equipment) moves and related tasks, including but not limited to, installation of furniture; repairs to doors, locks, handles as well as replace ceiling tiles, general paint work etc.
- Carry out minor repairs & service on all plumbing related equipment
- Carry out planned maintenance cleaning of drains in the plant room
- Carry out inspections/irregularities and report back on all fire & access equipment; fire-extinguishers, hose reels, fire-hydrants, fire-detectors & access control equipment
- Assist/shadow/escort Contractors doing major repairs and services
- Provide constant feedback to the Facilities Supervisor
- Any other tasks as assigned by the Facilities Supervisor
- Assist with event management
Job Specification: (Requirements necessary to conduct the job successfully)
Skills and/or Competencies
- Highly organised with attention to detail
- Well-developed and proven verbal/written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- Substantial knowledge of maintenance and repair procedures including preventive maintenance, breakdown repair and trouble shooting
- Grade 12 or equivalent with 3 – 5 years’ experience in facilities or building maintenance
- Experience in planning and managing maintenance projects with limited complexity and ability to perform physical tasks
- Basic knowledge of practices, procedures, equipment, materials and tools, used in the maintenance and repair of buildings
- Experience managing contractors
- Knowledge of and experience in compliance with relevant building codes and legislation including Occupational Health and Safety Act
- A track record in successfully delivering projects against time, cost and quality targets