Unique opportunity to learn and grow in the “Business of Art” whilst having access to a studio to work on your own art portfolio whilst making a nice sales commission. Art@Africa is seeking a free Lance salesperson for evenings and weekends. A motivated, enthusiastic, and experienced salesperson to join our team in Cape Town. The ideal candidate is a hard-working, energetic and free-thinking individual who is a result-oriented person. The candidate has a strong focus on sales, is disciplined, reliable and ethical, capable of working in a team with a capacity for problem-solving and enjoys engaging with international people.
Art@Africa is a dynamic team with experience and knowledge to identify the rough diamonds in the Contemporary Southern African art spectrum and have 33 years worldwide experience, knowhow and facilities to elevate the quality of their art and grow their brand value by diversifying their art into new art forms and mediums, resulting into growth of investment value for the client and a better future for the artist.
Our world-class venue and gallery are situated in the centre of the bustling V&A Waterfront, approximately 120 meters from the Zeitz MOCAA. The aim of the Art@ franchise is to create meaningful art experiences. In displaying entirely South African artists, in its unique setting the gallery hopes to provide a platform on which the extraordinary South African talent can be recognised on an international level. We invest time and enthusiasm into young artists displaying them amongst the crème de la crème to create an atmosphere of both established and new talent.
The issues of modern society are at the forefront of the galleries’ ideals as well as focusing on the positive impact South Africa has had on the work of artists. Many of the works display an aspect of cultural, traditional identity and some combine this with the importance of technology in the modern-day.
- The Sales assistant must have reliable transport, be well-spoken, organised, responsible, and able to work independently and in a team.
- It is imperative that the candidate has a background in sales and client liaison.
- A keen interest in the visual arts, the ability to learn quickly, and the skills to engage with the international public are absolute requisites for this post
The range of tasks include:
- Gallery sales and client relations.
- Assist with curating, installing and de-installing exhibitions.
- Art packaging and shipping.
- Assist with social media.
- Arranging for documents to be printed.
- Keep the premises presentable and tidy.
- Aid in hosting events.
- General tasks that arise in the daily running of the gallery
Minimal Skills and experience required:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience in sales and client liaisons
- Maintaining a professional image in every aspect
- A keen eye for detail
- Tidiness and presence
- Fluent in English
Additional Skills and experience welcome
- Fluent in other languages
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Strong writing and language skills to create content, press releases, etc…
- Graphic design experience
- Art photography – Photoshop – Adobe Premier Pro
- Online marketing skills
- Qualification of contemporary South African art, Visual Arts, History of Art
- Experience in marketing, media and public relations
- Experience with Event management
- Computer fundi
- Experience with media liaison
The successful candidate will be part of an enthusiastic young team and report directly to the Owner
- Studio space can be provided
- This is a freelance position with an interesting sales commission structure
Every evening 6 pm – 9 pm and weekends 9 am – 9 pm
Additional hours during exhibition installations, openings and fairs will be required.