Art Eye is a commercial arts space that promotes the production and exposure of emerging African artists around the world. We have directed our focus on being a platform for great expression and story telling. Our artists are not only dedicated to their individual practices but express narratives that are directly focused on what it means to live in South Africa today. We work with an exceptional group of artists who have made Visual Art their primary objective.
We are more than just an art gallery, we work with our artists in the production of their work, placing them in an incubator like programme in order to develop their personal sensibilities.
By celebrating the uniqueness of every artist and we aim help them to reach their full capabilities by giving them the freedom in space and material.
Our core goal is to create a sustainable platform for the development of South African talent.
We are situated in New Doornfontein, in a collaborative space that perpetuates this idea of free expression and community. The space(s) is situated on the 5th floor of Ellis House; a building dedicated to the promotion of South African Art and artists. The building houses artists, galleries and art practitioners creating multiple dialogues around the production and exhibition of contemporary art. Art Eye chose this new space drawn by its creative energy and close proximity to the inner city. The Art Eye inner city spaces are ventures dedicated to breaking down barriers and celebrating our diversity through Art. These spaces exist in order to create visibility and conjure discussions around humanity, diversity and create a sense of community between artists and art buyers.
The ART EYE GALLERY Gallery Assistant position is an opportunity for a creative individual with great work ethic to gain exposure and experience in a commercial gallery space.
The ART EYE GALLERY Assistant must be well spoken, organised, responsible, and able to work independently and co-operatively. Office related computer skills are essential including word processing, web browsing and email. Excellent ability to type quickly in fluent English with good grammar is a
Administrative assistance includes:
- Assistance and support to the owner and the Gallery Manager.
- Liaising with artists and clients, written/telephone correspondence, updating mailing list, maintaining inventory and general office organisation.
- To undertake general office duties, for example.
- Maintenance of database and ART EYE Email address.
- To aid in curatorial duties where necessary.
- Drafting and sending standard letters.
- Photocopying and collating papers and mailings.
- Arranging for documents to be printed.
- Monitoring stocks of basic items, for example stamps and stationery.
- Ordering stationery, periodicals, equipment and other items.
- Maintaining databases for both external and internal events.
- Assist in the sale of art while handling cash, cards and receipts responsible.
- Keep informed about current and upcoming exhibitions in order to educate visitors.
- Keep the premises presentable and tidy.
- Aid in hosting events by welcoming guests, serving drinks, and monitoring work.
- Take on special projects. This may include organising new promotional ideas.
- Aid in packaging artwork and shipping.
- Ensure the premise is secured at closing time.
We are looking for someone who is active in the Johannesburg art community, who would have studied something within Visual Arts, History of Art, Communications and it is imperative that this individual has a background in sales and client liaison
This position is a full time position that will require the Gallery Assistant to be present for from Monday to Friday and every alternate Saturday. Working hours are from 9:30am until 4:30pm in the weekday, 9:30am to 4:00pm every alternate Saturday, and some miscellaneous exhibition evenings.