Job description: GALLERY GUIDE
Job Title: Gallery Guide
Department: Front of House
Reporting to: Front of House Manager
Duration: Full Time with 3 months’ probation period
Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa (Zeitz MOCAA) is a public not-for-profit museum dedicated to contemporary art from Africa and its Diaspora. It consists of nine floors and 80 different galleries, 9,500 m2 of programmable space, of which 6,500 m2 is dedicated to white cube exhibition space, all housed in a unique re-imagining of what were once grain silos at Cape Town’s V&A Waterfront.
Reporting to the Front of House Manager (Front desk Supervisor in their absence), this position is responsible for carrying out public speaking in an engaging and effective manner with multicultural groups. The Gallery Guide must have strong customer service skills to build visitor satisfaction, and they may need to memorize a script if acting as a Gallery Guide for the museum. The Gallery Guide should also have extensive knowledge of the museum to answer any questions that the visitors may have. The Gallery Guide will be required to act as Host and Guest Relations in the Atrium. The Gallery Guide must be prepared to step in at the ticketing and membership desk when required. The job often requires a flexible schedule depending on employer needs.
Essential Job Functions include:
- The ability to manage large groups of people and keep them orderly while maintaining appropriate customer service is essential.
- Lead tours on all exhibitions to the public through various programs according to a schedule.
- Document attendees, problems, and other information.
- Act as Host in the Atrium
- Act as Guest relations on the Gallery floors
- Assist with Ticket and Membership selling when required
- Demonstrate self-discipline with regards to attendance, dress code, hygiene and time-keeping
- Attend Gallery guide and Front of House meetings
1. Person specification
This role focuses on the visitor experience and public engagement in Zeitz MOCAA, requiring an individual with a high standard of planning, organisation, accuracy, and consistency. The selected individual will be required to work as a team member part of the team on variety of responsibilities that fulfil the mandate of the Front of House team and of Zeitz MOCAA. They should be a good communicator and a focused, professional Ability to handle and control difficult situations, remains calm under pressure and manages own emotions and responses.
2. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge and experience relating to tours or public speaking
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- Excellent research skills
- Ability to work independently and deliver work within the agreed timeframes
- Effective problem-solving skills
- Flexible working hours when installation schedule requires it (including weekends & public holidays)
- Passionate and knowledgeable about contemporary culture from Africa and its Diaspora.
- Customer Service Orientation
- Trustworthy, with strong analytical skills
- Attention to Detail
- Ability to handle and control difficult situation
3. Minimum Qualifications
- Grade 12 or equivalent NQF Level with Math’s and English essential
- Diploma or Degree in Arts History preferable
- Strong computer skills, including the use of Microsoft Office applications, email services and the internet as well as a willingness to learn new computer skills as required
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working within a similar environment