The Artist in Residence (AIR) program awards fully sponsored residencies to approximately 50 local, national, and international artists each year. Residencies of four to ten weeks include studio space, chef-prepared meals, comfortable housing, and travel and living expense reimbursements. AIRs become part of a dynamic community of artists participating in Headlands’ other programs, allowing for exchange and collaborative relationships to develop within the artist community on campus. Artists selected for this program are at all stages in their careers and work in all media, including drawing, painting, sculpture, photography, film, video, new media, installation, fiction and nonfiction writing, poetry, dance, music, interdisciplinary, social practice, and architecture.
- To support and invest in individuals at the cutting edge of their fields, whose work will impact the cultural landscape at large.
- To provide these artists with the support and opportunity to take their work to the next level and to explore and experiment.
- To bring artists and thinkers into a dynamic community of local, national, and international artists: a professional network of creative practitioners and thinkers.
- To encourage artists to explore their ideas and work within the context of the Marin Headlands, a part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
- To bring an international community of artists to the Bay Area and create opportunities for engagement and cross-cultural exchange with local artists and audiences