The Visual Identities in Art and Design Research Centre (VIAD), University of Johannesburg (UJ), is offering a 3-month paid internship position.
The internship will expose a recent graduate or new entrant to the job market to the diverse activities of a vibrant Research Centre working in the fields of Art and Design, as well as offer the opportunity to work on a high-profile, international exhibition by Haitian artist Edouard Duval-Carrié, and conference programme to be hosted by VIAD in May 2019.
The Visual Identities in Art and Design Research Centre (VIAD): Internship
- Location: University of Johannesburg, Bunting Road campus, Auckland Park, Johannesburg
- Salary: R5,000.00 per month (4 days a week)
- Duration of contract: 3 months
- Starting date: 12th March 2019.
- Deadline for application: 28 February 2019, 17h00.
The main duties of the intern will be to:
- Provide support to the VIAD curatorial team. Work elements include assistance in the organising and installing of the exhibition, as well as assisting with the associated conference programme.
- Provide logistical support to artist-in-residency. Assist with media and publicity (including website and social media updates and other communications).
- Support/assist curators, researchers and visiting guests and conference contributors. Assisting with a range of administrative tasks in the organisation of the exhibition and conference.
- A BA degree or equivalent diploma. BA Visual arts or BA Curatorial studies are advantageous.
- Good writing and communication skills and a willingness to learn are essential.
- A commitment to the arts, that aligns with VIAD’s vision and objectives, particularly with respect to the Centre’s focus on visual culture and identity construction in postcolonial African and Afrodiasporic contexts.
- A strong interest in curating and arts administration.
- A driver’s license and own car are highly advantageous (but not essential).
- The applicant should be Johannesburg based.
- Proficiency in Photoshop and InDesign is an advantage though not required.
- Proficiency in social media platforms is essential.
Applicants should either be of South African nationality or be in possession of a valid work permit for South Africa.