Department: Community Development
Branch: Arts, Culture & Heritage
Designation: Curator: History Collections
Remuneration: R28 456,44 pm (basic salary, excluding benefits)
Location: Johannesburg Art Gallery, cnr King George & Joubert Street
- BA Degree in Fine Art or BA majoring in history of Art (NQF Level 7);
- 3 – 5 years’ experience in a similar environment with public relations and computer skills.
Collect objects (excluding those covered by the image, traditional African culture, geology, costume and photographic collections) reflecting the history and culture of South Africa in order to provide a wide ranging in-depth museum collection that is both information-rich and aesthetically pleasing, and accessible to the public. Research and document new items added to the History collection to enhance their heritage and cultural value and to organize them so that they can be easily and usefully retrieved by those wish to use them. Store, preserve and conserve and protect the History collection to protect the museum’s assets from deterioration or other loss and to preserve the nation’s heritage for the future. Answer enquiries, prepare exhibitions and administer loans to make the collection accessible to the public, while at the same time protecting and preserving the items. Assist with marketing, publicity educational programme and tours. Provide input to the budgeting process to care for the collection, and to enhance the collection by adding to it. Contribute to museum policy making in order to plan to mitigate risks to the collection. Manage the curatorial assistant in order to look after the collection properly.
Key Performance Areas:
- Manage the collection;
- Undertake research and contribute to the history of work in the collection;
- Coordinate exhibitions of work in the collection;
- Respond to internal and external enquiries about the collection;
- Attend internal staff meetings;
- Contribute to the department’s scorecard;
- Provide data for the museum’s newsletters;
- Manage the curatorial assistant;
- Attend first aid and fire-fighting training sessions.
Curator: History Collections
- Written and verbal skills;
- Good communication skills;
- Computer skills and Database.
- South African History and Culture, Museum collection, Research and Catalogues;
- Knowledge of Administration, First aid and Fire-safety and public relations.
All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply and will be considered. The City of Johannesburg applies the principles of employment equity as per National legislation and policy guidelines and will consider designated groups in line with these requirements.
Applicants are respectfully informed that, if no notification of appointment/response is received within six (6) weeks of the closing date, they must accept that their application was unsuccessful. By submitting your application for a position at the City of Johannesburg, you are consenting that the personal information submitted as part of your application may be used for the purposes of the Recruitment and Selection and related process.