The Faculty of Humanities invites applications for the full-time post of Lecturer in the Department of History of Art in the Wits School of Arts.
The successful candidate will join a small team of academics and curators in the department, and work with them to strengthen the undergraduate and postgraduate programme.
We invite academics and practitioners with dynamic, innovative and critical academic and/or creative research and teaching experience to apply.
Recognising that diversity is important in achieving excellence within the faculty, staff and student body, the University of the Witwatersrand especially encourages South Africans from designated groups to apply (see link to policy below*)
- For appointment at the Lecturer level, a PhD or substantial progress and evidence of teaching and research are required.
- Applicants would be expected to submit their PhDs for examination within three years of appointment.
- Undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and curriculum development, in one or more of the following areas of art history and/or curating and/or heritage studies:
- Historical and contemporary artistic practice of South Africa, African and its diaspora contexts and networks;
- Knowledge of the disciplines of art history, curatorial practice or heritage studies
- Multidisciplinary and multimodal approaches
- Postgraduate supervision
- Excellent track record of conventional and/or creative research outcomes in the areas of art history and/or curating and/or heritage studies
Skills and Attributes:
- A commitment to transformative pedagogies, curriculum development, and transformation within the humanities.
- Developing, teaching and coordinating courses in the undergraduate and postgraduate programme
- Supervising postgraduate students at Honours, Masters and PhD level
- Contributing to the development and management of the research fieldwork programme
- Contributing to the work of the Department and the School as a whole, such as actively engaging in committee work
- Contributing to fundraising strategies for the Department
The position is available immediately. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience and based on published WITS pay scales.
Please note that only applications via the website will be considered for shortlisting.
The University reserves the right to verify all information provided by candidates and to verify credit standing. Please note that correspondence will only be entered into with short-listed candidates.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment or to re-advertise.