School of Creative Technologies
Position: Lecturer in Interactive Development
The Open Window (OWI) is an accredited private education institution recognised for setting innovative standards in the visual arts and digital sciences. Founded in 1994 with a focus on providing a unique tertiary platform where practice-led tuition links traditional fine art practice with the applied arts, we place emphasis in ongoing innovation to curricula in consideration of the rapidly evolving creative arts industries.
In addition to their academic roles, many Open Window lecturers are actively engaged in creative practice. Our investment in highly qualified and industry relevant staff is deemed critical in directing our students in work-integrated learning projects of value. The School of Creative Technologies seeks to appoint a lecturer in the subject Interaction Development in a permanent post. The successful candidate will join enthusiastic academics and professionals in Open Window’s School of Creative Technologies – an interdisciplinary school including Interaction Design and 3D Design.
What is Interactive Development at The Open Window?
Interactive Development explores the programming, development and support of various digital products including the creation of engaging and useful websites as well as mobile application development for the growing mobile world.
The course focuses on front-end and touches on back-end development languages and seeks to give students robust and flexible development skills that allow the developer to bring imagination to life on screen.
Areas of focus include applications, web and digital product development.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Teach at an undergraduate level in the subject Interactive Development
- Update course content when relevant
- Provide course notes, mentor students, conduct formative and summative assessments and record and finalise achievements within the subject
- Attend and participate in Open Window related events
- Manage a small team as Subject Manager under the guidance of the Head of School
- Participate in strategic initiatives related to teaching, creative production, research and social engagement
- Facilitate in the ongoing growth and development of Interactive Development at The Open Window
- The applicant is also required to maintain links to, and keep up with the industry
- Good language and communication skills
- Good time management
- A strong understanding of software development and its associated methods and tools
- A thorough knowledge of web development and mobile app development
- An interest in emerging technologies and how software development changes over time
- An understanding of the importance of user-centred design
- Debugging abilities
- Good verbal and written communication skills, and interpersonal skills
- Enthusiastic about the field of software development and a good grasp of the industry
- Willingness to research and learn new tools, skills, and programming languages
Required Competencies (Skills, Knowledge and Behavioural Attributes):
Knowledge in the following languages:
- Java and/or C#
- Android SDK and/or Swift
The following frameworks:
- Any MVC framework (Angular, React, and/or EmberJS preferred)
- Any Unit Testing framework (Jasmine, JUnit, PHPUnit etc.)
- Any hybrid application development framework (Ionic, flutter, ReactNative)
The following auxiliary skills:
- Command Line / Bash terminal abilities
- Version control skills Git or similar
- Understanding of web APIs
- Good language and communication skills
- Practice/work experience in development and coding
- Experience in lecturing at tertiary level
- A background or experience with UX methodologies and practices
- A background or experience in design
Added Advantages and Preferences:
- Knowledge of the MEAN stack
- Linux knowledge
- Arduino and/or raspberry pi abilities
- Ability to initiate relevant research, or undertake contract research
- Experience in managing people/leading a team
- Inquisitive and explorative interest in technological advances and the impact and relationship of society with technology
- Exposure to UX methodologies and practices
- Minimum qualification: NQF Level 8 (honours degree or equivalent) or higher – in the field of Computer Science, Development or related fields
- A portfolio featuring examples of development work.
Salary Scale: Negotiable
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s overall experience as communicated through the application in relation to The Open Window’s policies and procedures. No additional benefits are on offer other than a Retirement Annuity which The Open Window pays for outside of your remuneration package.
In support of the company’s Employment Equity Plan, applicants from designated groups are encouraged to apply.