Job Title: Librarian Special Collections: Artists’ Books
Organization Name: Wits Art Museum (WAM)
This position will suit a dynamic and self-motivated individual with qualifications and experience relating to libraries and artists’ books, and a sincere interest in visual arts and art museums. Hours are Mon to Fri 8h30 to 16h30. The appointment is subject to a 6-month probation period.
- Work with the Director of the Book Arts Centre and WAM curators to acquire, catalogue, store, exhibit, research and make accessible the special artists’ books collection at the museum. Please be aware that Book Arts are not books about art.
Key responsibilities include the following:
- Develop, promote and take care of the special collections, ie Artists’ books, The Archive (items about artists’ books), South African art monographs, and related items
- Catalogue and house items according to accepted protocol
- Provide a reference inquiry and information retrieval service for researchers
- Digitize the collections
- Create exhibitions of selected material
- A Bachelor degree or equivalent diploma in art or similar disciplines and at least two years of work related experience. Postgraduate Diploma in Library and Information Studies would be an advantage
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Practical skills pertaining to handling books
- Sincere interest in the arts and museums
- Excellent time management and organisational skills, ability to multi-task and prioritise effectively
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a small, busy, passionate and dedicated team
- Basic computer literacy with specialist collection database ability
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong service orientation; ability to work closely with University academic staff and students under pressure
For more information on the position, please contact Julia Charlton on Julia.Charlton@wits.ac.za However, please note that NO APPLICATIONS should be sent to this address.