The Eastern Cape Development Corporation and Nelson Mandela Metropolitan Art Museum are proud to present the fourth installment of the Lithuka Lakho EASTERN CAPE CRAFT COMPETITION AND EXHIBITION 2019.
This initiative is designed to promote export quality craft from a diverse range of disciplines. Eastern Cape crafters are challenged to up their game and enter something amazing that represents the spirit of the Eastern Cape. Selection of top craft products will take place throughout the Eastern Cape and culminate in an exhibition to be opening at Nelson Mandela Metropolitan Art Museum on 29 March 2019.
- TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
THE EXHIBITION IS OPEN TO ALL CRAFTERS 18 years or older as of 1 January 2019. Craft groups, projects or collectives may enter individual craft works provided that all the crafters responsible for making the work are clearly listed on the entry form. The same conditions of entry apply to collectives. Only crafters resident in Eastern Cape province may participate. Only works executed in the last 24 months will be accepted.
- NUMBER OF ENTRIES: Each crafter or craft group must select three or less top craft works
for entry. These may take the form of sets or assemblages. Entries that consist of several parts must be accompanied by clear assembly and disassembly instructions and include diagrams for final installation. Entries must be the ORIGINAL WORK of the artist. No reproductions will be accepted. last 24 months will be accepted.
- MEDIUM: Entries will be accepted in any medium or combination of media that complies with the conservation and public safety standards of the NMM Art Museum. The competition coordinators reserve the right to reject works which are too difficult to move, install or hang. Crafters should provide their own special technical equipment if required.
- DIMENSIONS: Completed artworks including sets or assemblages, may NOT exceed 1500 x
1500 X 1000 mm. Work must not weight more than 60 kg
- VENUE SELECTION
If you prefer to submit your work physically, selection of work will take place between 4 and 15 March 2019 at venues across the Eastern Cape. Please check the last page to see which venue is nearest to you. Please note you will be expected to bring the final work along with a completed entry form to the venue to be considered for selection.
- SELECTION: A selection team made up of art and craft professionals will adjudicate the digital submissions and visit each of the venues to select top craft for the final exhibition. The selectors’ decision is final.
- PREPARATION OF CRAFT PRODUCTS FOR THE EXHIBITION: All entries must be ready for
exhibition. Two-dimensional works must be fitted with either brackets or cord for hanging.
All entries must be accompanied by clear installation instructions. The competition organizers cannot be held liable for incorrect or unclear information supplied by the crafter.
- DELIVERY: Collection and delivery of the craft work from the various selection venues to the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan Art Museum will be sponsored by ECDC. The transit insurance is included in this sponsorship. However crafters are responsible that each work is clearly labeled with the entrant’s name, address, and the title of the work. All submissions must be accompanied by a completed entry form.
- THE EXHIBITION: The staff of the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan Art Museum are fully responsible for the layout, installation and dismantling of the exhibition. However, crafters who supply special equipment may be required to assist in the installation of this equipment. The competition organizers reserves the right to reject selected work that is not completed on arrival. RISK &
- INSURANCE: The submitted items will be insured while in transit and while in exhibition at the Art Museum. Insurance details are available on request.