The Javett Art Centre at the University of Pretoria (Javett-UP) is looking to employ a Marketing Officer to assist with the marketing and promotion of Gauteng’s exciting new hub for the arts, culture, and heritage, due to open its doors in 2019.
Reports to: The Marketing Officer will report to the Director of the Javett-UP.
To commence duties: mid- February 2019
Job overview: The successful candidate will fulfill a vital communications function, as the first point of contact for public and media enquiries. Furthermore, he or she will be required to assist with the promotion and positioning of the Javett-UP as a premier centre for the art of Africa.
Responsibilities and duties:
- Track and deliver on various communication-related projects.
- Ensure the timeous approval of marketing material by various stakeholders.
- Expertly handle media and public enquiries relating to the Javett-UP.
- Assist with the writing, design and dissemination of Javett-UP marketing and communications material.
- Assist the Director with Public programming.
- Liaise with and assist the Fundraiser.
- Education level: the following are both prerequisites:
1) A Bachelor’s degree (or evidence of current studies towards such a qualification) in brand strategy/marketing and public relations
2) A formal tertiary level qualification in fine art (studies should be complete).
- Experience: A knowledge of, and an interest in, the South African and Pan-African contemporary art landscape is a prerequisite. A sensitivity towards the dynamics of the local and international political, social and cultural landscape is essential. The candidate should possess and be able to provide evidence of at least five years of marketing communications practice, brand strategy and public relations experience, and posses above average communications skills.
- Language skills: Excellent spoken and above-average written English skills are required; proficiency in a second official South African language would be advantageous.
- Computer literacy: A basic working knowledge of MS Office, email and internet programmes (preferably on Apple devices) is required, as well as graphic design skills (ideally Adobe InDesign) and proficiency on social media platforms.
- A valid work permit to work in South Africa.
- Personal characteristics: An energetic self-starter, team player, arts enthusiast and good communicator who is flexible and plugged-in would be ideal for this position.
- Driver’s licence: Code 08 driver’s licence and own transport are essential.
Terms of employment: Six-month initial contract period, including three months’ probation, after which the contract will be reviewed. The successful candidate will work from the Javett-UP’s temporary office on the University of Pretoria’s Hatfield campus.
Overtime work may occasionally be required.
Remuneration: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.