MUSEUM SCIENTIST (FINE ARTS)
FIXED TERM CONTRACT (3 YEARS)
The National Museum, situated in the heart of Bloemfontein in the Free State Province of South Africa, is widely regarded as one of the best managed and administered museums in Africa. The Art Bank of South Africa is a programme of the Department of Arts and Culture, which is hosted by the National Museum. We seek an honest, dedicated and motivated individual who can work independently when required, but who is also willing to work in a team when necessary. The incumbent will be expected to undertake contemporary visual art research and to publish on current arts industry developments.
- Minimum of a Masters degree or a Ph.D. in Fine Arts/Art History/ Visual Arts or similar.
- A proven publication record in accredited journals.
- Experience creating content for a variety of audiences.
- Knowledge of contemporary South African and African art and curatorial practices.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work within a team.
- A high level of computer literacy.
- A valid driver’s license.
Key performance areas
- Publication of research results in accredited scientific journals.
- Content creation for a variety of platforms.
- Contributions towards public awareness of the art collections of the ArtbankSA and the National
Museum by means of public lectures, popular articles, participation at meetings, etc.
Benefits: Generous leave, medical aid, 13th cheque.