The National Gallery of Zimbabwe in Bulawayo is now accepting proposals for Exhibitions, Curatorial and Residency applications and proposals for 2019.
Artists and Curators wishing to present new ideas and projects in the context of the Bulawayo gallery space and emerging independent curators committed to developing their professional practice can now submit proposals for exhibitions and visiting Artists in Residency for 2019. The call is open to local and international artists interested in the residency, solo or collaborative exhibitions.
- Artists must submit proposals for the presentation of their own (solo or collaborative) work.
- For collaborations, artists must confirm interest/availability before they submit the proposal.
- Artists who have previously exhibited at the NGB in the past 3 years will not be eligible for the 2018 call, but can apply for 2020 onwards.
While we accept submissions based on all sorts of ideas, in 2019 we remain committed to exhibiting:
- The work of emerging and under-represented artists, particularly those in the SADC region
- Work that contributes to the ongoing dialogue about contemporary art practices.
- Projects that push artistic practice in new and interesting directions.
- Topics and styles not well represented by private or commercial spaces or otherwise difficult to show elsewhere.
- The work of artists previously exhibited anywhere outside Zimbabwe or itinerant exhibitions.
- Projects that take into account our limited gallery space, thoughtful and orderly installations that respect the “breathing space” of each artwork tend to work better in our gallery.
PLEASE TAKE NOTE: The above are just guidelines, so don’t worry if your exhibition/ project doesn’t satisfy everything listed; however, they are rules.
THE NATIONAL GALLERY WILL:
- Offer Studio and exhibition space (including mounting, promotion and refreshments):
THE NATIONAL GALLERY WILL NOT:
- Pay for your return ticket/flights to and from Bulawayo Zimbabwe.
- Pay for your travel insurance, airport taxes and visa costs, to enter Zimbabwe see https://www.evisa.gov.zw/Home for details. (Will assist with all the necessary paperwork and clearance)
- Pay for your accommodation
THE NATIONAL GALLERY MAY:
- Assist in fundraising for the mobility stipend and accommodation
- Assist in sourcing basic art materials and equipment.
- Assist in sourcing funds to make you residency as productive and comfortable as possible
THE NATIONAL GALLERY WILL
- Offer studio space for a minimum of one month and a maximum of three months.
- Offer exhibition space, mounting and dismantling of the exhibition.
You will be expected to: research, collaborate, and give talks about your practice and present an exhibition of finished or work in progress. You can expect a great creative time and you are free to take time off and explore Zimbabwe within the time frame, http://www.worldtravelguide.net/zimbabwe/ but the best is to experience it yourself
Artists and Curators are encouraged to seek support to cover mobility local transport, accommodation, living and material expenses. Proposals that are incomplete, unreadable, or fail to meet the above requirements may not be considered.