Local and visiting Artists and Curators wishing to present new ideas and projects in the context of the Bulawayo gallery space and emerging independent curators committed to developing their professional practice can now submit proposals for exhibitions and visiting –Artists in Residency for 2020.
- Artists must submit proposals for the presentation of their own (solo or collaborative) work.
- For collaborations, artists must confirm interest/availability before they submit the proposal.
- Artists that have not exhibited their work at the NGB over the last three years are particularly encouraged to apply.
While we accept submissions based on all sorts of ideas, in 2020 we remain committed to exhibiting:
- The work of professional artists, particularly those in the SADC region.
- Work that contributes to the ongoing dialogue about contemporary art practices.
- Projects that push artistic practice in new and interesting forms and directions, including digital artists as well as artists that showcase traditional art works using digital means to apply.
- Topics and styles not well represented by private or commercial spaces or otherwise difficult to show elsewhere.
- The work of artists previously exhibited anywhere outside Zimbabwe or itinerant exhibitions.
- Projects that take into account our limited gallery space, thoughtful and orderly installations that respect the “breathing space” of each artwork tend to work better in our gallery.
- Artists also keen to experiment with public art installations are also strongly encouraged to apply.
- Pay for your return ticket/flights to and from Bulawayo Zimbabwe.
- Pay for your travel insurance, airport taxes, and visa costs, to enter Zimbabwe see https://www.evisa.gov.zw/Home for details. (Will assist with all the necessary paperwork and clearance)
- Pay for your accommodation
THE NATIONAL GALLERY MAY:
- Assist in fundraising for the mobility stipend and accommodation
- Assist in sourcing basic art materials and equipment
- Assist in sourcing funds to make your residency as productive and comfortable as possible
Artists and Curators are encouraged to seek support to cover mobility local transport, accommodation, living and material expenses. Proposals that are incomplete, unreadable, or fail to meet the above requirements may not be considered.