We want art, fiction, and non-fiction from artists and writers from Africa and the African Diaspora.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
Fiction and art must be speculative (Fantasy, Science Fiction, Horror or Magical Realism) and must involve characters, settings or themes directly related to the African continent. Stories and art should challenge normative ideas about gender, sexuality, ethnicity and religious belief. All stories and art must be in English (translations welcome), must be original works (no fan fiction, sorry), and previously unpublished.
We are very much interested in works that explore alternative futures for Africa and people of African descent – with a preference for positive iterations (though dystopias are welcome too). We would also like to see explorations of the past as well as new interpretations of myths, folklore and magic. We do not accept graphic violent or sexual content.
Above all, we are looking for original ideas, excellent writing, and a strong emotional core.
Non-fiction can be essays or reviews but must deal with our interest in African speculative fiction. We do not accept poetry, drama or film scripts.
Both fiction and non-fiction should please follow the Standard Manuscript Format.
- Short fiction should be no more than 5,000 words.
- Creative non-fiction and essays should be no more than 3,000 words.
- Flash fiction pieces should not exceed 1,000 words each.
- Reviews should be between 800 and 2,000 words.
- Graphic fiction and visual art should be sent in as a .jpg file.
- Please don’t send revised drafts of works that you have previously submitted, unless we specifically ask for them.
- Do not send us art if it has been published anywhere other than on your portfolio unless we specifically request it.
- Accepted text submissions will be paid at a rate of N1 NGN per word. We work towards artists’ commissioned rates – depending on our budget.