The Visual Arts Network of South Africa (VANSA) calls for visual arts organisations in South Africa to submit an expression of interest for the 2018/19 Internship Programme.
VANSA is in the process of submitting the CATHSSETA funding application for the 2018/19 internship programme and calls on visual arts organisations to submit their expression of interest for consideration. All submissions will be collated into one funding application which VANSA is to submit to CATHSSETA for its 2018 funding cycle.
The VANSA Internship Programme is a one year programme aimed at developing new talent in the fields of arts administration, curating and/or project management.
The focus of the internships may be in the following areas, amongst others:
- Arts administration
- Curatorial practice
- Marketing and communications
- Project management
During the course of the internship, the intern should be exposed to a variety of organisational functions and processes, and should by the end of the period of the internship be able to complete a small project (e.g. the planning and organisation of an exhibition, event, workshop or the like) with minimal external supervision. By the end of the internship the intern should also be in a position to:
- Be employed on a part-time, full-time or contract basis by the host organisation OR
- Be employed or contracted by a similar organisation or business OR
- Be in a position to pursue freelance work as an administrator, curator or project manager in the visual arts or an adjacent field
The opportunity is open to the following types of organisation:
- Development organisations in the visual arts
- Municipal and university-based art museums
- Contemporary art galleries
- Contemporary art media/publishing
- Any other business or organisation involved in the promotion of contemporary art practice in South Africa
- In the case of entities that work across multiple art forms, the focus of the internship should be on the visual arts/contemporary art
Submitting organisations should be paid-up members of VANSA – if you are not already an organisational member, go to vansa.co.za/membership to find out how to become one.
Organisations should consult the VANSA Internship Toolkit in order to develop a comprehensive internship plan.
VANSA reserves the right to make the final allocation of internship according to the approval of CATHSSETA should the application be successful. The internships are expected to start in November 2018, with not more than two internships assigned per organisation, per calendar year.