Galerie NOKO and The Community Activist Atelier in association with VANSA (Visual Arts Network of South Africa) presents The New Now Next Emerging Artists Competition 2020. The Competition started in 2009 as a locally implemented Nelson Mandela Bay project that provided platforms for exhibitions and workshops for emerging under-served artists from diverse backgrounds. At inception, the project had helped launch and facilitate processes for the development of the artistic careers of at least twenty-six emerging artists in the Nelson Mandela Metro. Over the years, it has grown to a national competition. The expanded art competition is based in the Eastern Cape and focuses on artists between the ages of 18 and 35 years.
The New Now Next Emerging Artists Competition/Award aims to provide an alternative platform, cultural and artistic development opportunities and showcase exciting new talent in contemporary arts. In addition, the initiative will offer education through workshops, mentorship programs, residency programs and high profile exhibitions to participating artists.
For “ There are two distinct languages. There is the verbal, which separates people… and there is the visual that is understood by everybody.”, Yaavoc Agam
The three award winners will each receive a two-month fully-funded artist residency at the Community Activist Atelier Residency (Port Elizabeth), mentorship and a three-person exhibition in 2021.
In addition to that, the cash prizes are:
- First Prize – R30,000.00 – The Faku Family Award for Excellence
- Second Prize – R15,000.00 – Innovative and Incisive Work
- Third prize– R5,000.00 – Laudable shot
- These prizes are towards the procurement of art materials to further the winning artist’s careers
Please NOTE that the Prizes/Awards are subject to Terms & Conditions
The Community Activist Atelier Residency is a flagship program of its kind designed to compete with the best in the world based in the Eastern Cape. It offers fully-funded residency programs that accommodate three artists-in-residence per year – one international, one national and one local. It houses artists’ studios, library and communication lounges, recreational garden, fully equipped modern kitchen, etc.
Besides the creation and development of new works by these artists, the artist-in-residence program includes a robust project of adoption and engagement with the local community and schools. The works submitted for the competition are envisaged to present windows into the visual culture and take us through a journey of diverse thoughts, paradigms and South Africa’s multicultural society.
Who can enter?
- Emerging artists residing in South Africa between the ages of 18 and 35.
- This team will be constituted to provide all artists a sympathetic ear bearing in mind the diversity of work that the exhibition seeks to encourage. There will be three independent judges for the New Now Next 2020 artist’s competition. Every entry is judged based on creative merit and technical excellence. The panel of judges will select three artworks from the entries for the first, second and third prize winners.
- A team of three seasoned Mentors has been identified and will be announced in due course.
- Artists Development Workshop: 15-19 February 2021
- The winning artists will be announced on 10 February 2021 during the Awards and exhibition opening night.
Conditions Of Entry
- Please take time to read the brief carefully as it’s important to consider our diverse audience
- Artists are to submit a minimum of four (4) and a maximum of seven (7) artworks
- Artworks must not be signed by the artist on any area ( Back or Front)
- Do not send us a card design. Our aim is to discover emerging artists with something fresh and original to say
- Ensure that your entry/entries belong to one of the following categories – Photography/ Digital Media, Painting, illustration and Sculpture
- We reserve the right to leave out works based on the availability of space, offensive content or quality
- All works (Particularly artworks on paper) must be mounted or framed and ready to hang
- No works may be removed from the exhibition before the exhibition closing
- Any submission that does not meet the requirements stipulated will not be considered
- It is mandatory that the Winning artists in all three categories will be required to take up a two Months Residency at The Community Activist Atelier and participate in a three-person show in June 2021
- Employees of Galerie NOKO, the Sponsors and partners, their subsidiaries or their advertising agencies and family members of any such employees are not eligible to participate
- Any violation of the set-out conditions will nullify the Entrants submission
- Artists are advised to use archival materials in the production or creation of their entries.
About Galerie NOKO
Galerie NOKO’s pursuit is to provide a contemporary space for visual arts and to give maximum opportunity to artists and as well as marry their works to its audience. We house artist residency space, an exhibition space and a contemporary art gallery that focuses on contemporary, modern and abstract arts. The Gallery is envisaged to serve as a fulcrum for established or renowned artists and also as the ultimate springboard to launch professional careers of distinguished emerging artists. Galerie NOKO aims to create an integrated dialogue of cultures between the international, national and local artists.
VANSA operates as a support point and development agency for contemporary art practice in South Africa. We develop industry knowledge, resources, networks and projects that are concerned with realising new social, cultural and economic possibilities for contemporary art practice in the South African – and wider African – context.